Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jamie Oliver - anyone else had response from Ruth Kelly?

(7 Posts)
Hulababy Tue 22-Mar-05 15:59:14

After e-mailing I got a standard response back from her team.

Dear xxx

Thank you for your email of 18th March 2005 addressed to Ruth Kelly about school meals. As you will appreciate, the Minister receives a great deal of correspondence and is unable to reply personally to each one. I have been asked to reply on the Minister’s behalf.

The Government welcomes Jamie Oliver’s TV programme, as it would any initiative that highlights the need to improve children’s diets.

This Government takes seriously and is tackling the causes and effects of childhood obesity. In the Public Health White Paper it gave a commitment to review school lunch nutritional standards.

We are currently taking forward a number of projects that will improve nutrition in schools meals and reinforce healthy eating messages taught in the classroom, they are:

·revising secondary school lunch nutritional standards to reduce sugar, salt and fat intakes and increase fruit and vegetable consumption;

·evaluating primary school lunch standards, to establish where revision is needed;

·setting standards for other food available on school premises;

·providing additional support for heads and governors to help them source a healthy school meals’ service; and

·developing a qualification dedicated to school catering staff.

In addition a further package was announced by Ruth Kelly in February that will support parents, enabling them to voice concerns over the service in their school, and work with the school to implement change:

·that we will consult schools, parents, the food industry, caterers and food interest groups, as well as wider Government partners, on what needs to be done to empower parents;

·setting up of a Trust, bringing together the industry, education, expert and voluntary sector interests; and

·minimum specifications for the content of processed foods used in school meals: this will bear down on foods high in fat, salt and sugar.

You will also be interested to know that a further announcement on the provision of food in schools will be issued shortly.

Thank you again for taking time to write to this Department. Please be assured that we are interested in and will continue to work towards improving the well-being of our children.

Yours sincerely

Susan Hall
Pupil Well-being and Transport Team

soapbox Tue 22-Mar-05 16:01:56

Hula - yes - the same reponse - posted on the original thread

Hulababy Tue 22-Mar-05 16:22:11

Now why didn't I go to the trouble of looking that up!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 22-Mar-05 16:53:53

I haven't had a reply yet. I shall wait with bated breath

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 23-Mar-05 10:03:35

I have had my standard reply. I'm just trying to compose a response to the lack of action that they will be taking whilst reassuring us that we have choice in the matter. Once again the government pretends to give us choice (Parents can go to ballot where schools refuse healthy menu). I don't think that they got the point that they should take away bad food and only leave a healthy option. They are cowardly and just trying to fob us off before the election. Hmmmmmmmm.... that just may be the basis of my new email.

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Mar-05 12:10:36

I've had the standard email, posted on the other thread. I'm not impressed really.

TwoIfBySea Wed 23-Mar-05 21:47:56

I got the exact same email from another of her underlings.

Do you think they are sick of sending them yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now