Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how to make white sauce for meal, pls?

(10 Posts)
biglips Tue 22-Mar-05 14:00:14

SoupDragon Tue 22-Mar-05 14:03:41

Erm, melt butter, remove from heat, add flour, mix to a paste. Add milk slowly, mixing wekk after each bit to avoid lumps. Season to taste.

Sadly I have no measurements as I do it by eye! Mabye 1oz butter, enough flour to turn to a thick paste and a pint of milk?

SoupDragon Tue 22-Mar-05 14:04:07

wekk = well.

clary Tue 22-Mar-05 14:08:49

melt a lump of butter, off the heat add plain flour and stir until it is a thick lump; add a bit of milk, stirring so you get a smooth paste, then add more milk gradually. Whisk if you need to. Cook over highish heat, stirring, until it thickens, then cook over lower heat for 3-4 mins.
Sorry no quantities as I have no idea! Just do it by eye!!! Top tip: always make the sauce thicker than you think (ie with less milk) as you can always thin it down with extra milk at the end but it’s hard to make it thicker iyswim. hth

Missblossom Tue 22-Mar-05 14:11:41

Hi there,

This is how I make my white sauce:-

1 desert spoon butter
2 - 3 desert spoons plain flour
about half pint milk (depending how thick you want it)
and some gound nut meg.

melt the butter and add flour whisking all the time so you dont get lumps over a low heat, cook for a couple of minutes and then gradually add the milk a little at a time and then the nutmeg let it bubble gently for a a couple of minutes stiring all the time, and serve.
You could also add cheese to this to make a cheese sauce.

Hope this helps.

flea Tue 22-Mar-05 14:15:56

Delia Smith - all in one
1 oz flour
1.5 oz butter
3/4 pt of Milk

All in saucepan - keep whisking until butter melted and it starts to bubble - go round the pan at that stage with a wooden spoon to ensure all of the sauce is almagamated together and then turn down and simmer for 5 mins.

(I sometimes use less than the 3/4 pt but this is pretty foolproof)

clary Tue 22-Mar-05 14:16:49

Hey great minds soupy!

SoupDragon Tue 22-Mar-05 14:18:42

hehehe

Bozza Tue 22-Mar-05 14:27:36

Tend to use cornflour but other than that follow the soupie method. Made quite a tasty macaroni cheese last night (tasty because of the addition of bacon, mushrooms, onions and black pepper).

biglips Wed 23-Mar-05 12:23:52

thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now