Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anybody else not 'DO' Organic?

(202 Posts)
dyzzidi Tue 22-Mar-05 08:35:26

Okay so I don't have kids yet so i may alter my opinion then but I don't do organic.

I actually refuse to buy anything organic as I feel it has not harmed me all of my life eating normal stuff.

I eat quite healthily lots of fruit and veg etc but will not pay for the organic label and what is organic ketchup & baked beans all about?. I thought if something was bad for you it was bad for you regardless of that is in it.

Also I don't do Tofu or quorn or anything I feel is manufactured veggies.

Ok there I have voiced the fact that I and many of my friends don't do organic, Anyone else?????

munz Tue 22-Mar-05 08:56:48

well yes i'm the same I don't 'do' organic, althou I have eaten quorn and linda mcCartney, (mainly to try as my DB's G/F is a veggie.) organic to me would mean the same as growing in the back garden.

nutcracker Tue 22-Mar-05 08:57:46

I don't, but only cos i can't afford to. Think i might otherwise.

Enid Tue 22-Mar-05 08:58:58

do you understand what organic means?

Enid Tue 22-Mar-05 09:00:05

there are tons more pesticides on food now than there ever was when we were young. Also it supports smaller food producers, giving the high street much needed diversity.

nutcracker Tue 22-Mar-05 09:00:45

Does who understand what organic means, Enid ???

katierocket Tue 22-Mar-05 09:01:47

"it has not harmed me all of my life eating normal stuff"

that's like saying "oo my gran smoked 20 a day for 50 years and it never harmed her".

feel free to eat stuff covered in pesticides, it's the long term effect you want to worry about.

tribpot Tue 22-Mar-05 09:02:03

I've posted a link to the Soil Association's website Ten Reasons to Eat Organic that might answer some of your questions. There are health issues but also environmental ones about the long term effects of mass farming.

I'm not going to have a go, in the past I haven't been concerned about organic food so much but dh's health pretty much mandates that we at least try and avoid pesticides/pollutants and suchlike. Maybe you will find your attitude changes once you have kids, I think it tends to focus people's minds on what kind of stuff they are putting in delicate tummies.

To answer your question, there's nothing unhealthy about baked beans, it's the salt, sugar and additives they put in the 'normal' tomato sauce that cause health problems.

Hope this helps - I think it's a personal choice but at least if you know what organic is all about, you are making an informed choice.

katierocket Tue 22-Mar-05 09:02:10

I think enid means dyzzidi, nutty

dyzzidi Tue 22-Mar-05 09:02:36

Yes I understand what it means just think they have been using pesticides for many more years than we have known about and if it was as bad as some people say they would have baaned it by now.

There are many pesticides which have been banned and are no longer considered safe.

I am only eating what 98% of the population eat and what my parents and grandparents before me ate.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 22-Mar-05 09:02:40

I don't do organic. In fact, I get rather upset if I send DS or DH to Sainsburys for one or two things and they come back with something organic (or anything else where I have deemed that they have wasted money).

pootlepod Tue 22-Mar-05 09:03:02

I thought tofu was a main staple of protein for a lot of the world??? It's been around quite a while (unlike quorn) and features more in our diets as we have become more used to eating a wider variety.

katierocket Tue 22-Mar-05 09:04:23

"if it was as bad as some people say they would have baaned it by now"

I think that is so naive.
And also as tripot says, it's not just health it's the environment - do you not care about the environment? Ah, well who cares about global warming and mass farming, the results of our actions now won't be your problem in 50 years will they?

Enid Tue 22-Mar-05 09:04:37

sorry I was originally responding to dyzzidis post but the others were too quick

Enid Tue 22-Mar-05 09:05:17

dyzzidi I would be surprised if you are genuinely eating what your grandparents ate.

nutcracker Tue 22-Mar-05 09:05:56

But it is more expensive though isn't it ??? I mean I would love to give my kids organic stuff, but some weeks i barely have enough money to buy any food, let alone organic.

expatinscotland Tue 22-Mar-05 09:07:00

I 'do' what we can afford, organic or not. I wash all fruit and veg in a vinegar solution and peel those with skins too tough for dd to chew yet. We eat a lot of beans b/c they are cheap and easy to prepare.

dyzzidi Tue 22-Mar-05 09:07:03

I also buy from the local farm shops as I do beleive in supporting the community and trying to help out the local business's. Just wont pay more for organic in supermarkets etc.

I have not seen signs saying organic at the local farms maybe I have just not looked fir them.

Enid Tue 22-Mar-05 09:07:03

there are certain foods (carrots and bananas) where it is really worth buying organic as the non organic ones are very pesticide laden.

stitch Tue 22-Mar-05 09:07:16

i dont buy organic food. mainly because of the cost.
this thread is beginning to sound suspiciously like the breast/bottlefeeding debate.

katierocket Tue 22-Mar-05 09:07:48

why stitch?

dyzzidi Tue 22-Mar-05 09:09:57

Yes i would be suprised if my diet was the same as my grandparents as generally they had a very poor working class rationed diet I just mean the principles are the same. I eat with the masses.

As for the enviroment I do recycle, use natural cleaning products and try to do my bit.

Its just organic food i don't do.

munz Tue 22-Mar-05 09:11:48

if u boil/cook the food does the pesdicides not subside anyhow and boil out, the same with salt, (i don't cook with salt by the way only peper in mince/beef)

again salt for me is a big no no but Dh likes me to cook with salt (normally I just have the salt jar on the side so he think's I have used it)

snafu Tue 22-Mar-05 09:14:15

But why do you recycle? Or buy natural cleaning products?
Organic isn't just about having foods free from pesticides (although obv that is a big draw for those of us who do buy it) it's about sustainable farming, supporting small suppliers, supporting the environment.

And believe me, you aren't eating what your grandparents ate!

dyzzidi Tue 22-Mar-05 09:14:22

Surely healthy food is healthy food?

I eat quite low fat, low salt varied diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now