Talk

Advanced search

Flapjack - Anyone good a foolproof non-dry recipe!

(12 Posts)
kaansmum Mon 21-Mar-05 13:50:28

...was just wondering if anyone has one. Sorry in advance if this is an old chestnut (I'm fairly new to MN).

I often try to make a nice healthy version and throw in all sorts, sesame, sunflower, poopy seeds etc because I find flapjack a good way to "hide" healthy things, but it always seems to come out too dry .

Any ideas would be gratefull received

bossykate Mon 21-Mar-05 13:57:12

talkingtree's recipe on this thread really does live up to its billing as best ever.

bossykate Mon 21-Mar-05 13:58:03

should point out i have substituted golden for maple syrup.

SoupDragon Mon 21-Mar-05 15:02:06

I made a fantastic batch the other day but I can't find the cookery book. Anyway, I think the key is not to over cook them and not to over do the dry ingredients. When melting the (?) butter, syrup and sugar I let it boil for a short while (literally a fe seconds) which gave it a lovely caramel flavour.

giraffeski Mon 21-Mar-05 15:12:43

Message withdrawn

suzywong Mon 21-Mar-05 15:13:39

top tip is put in a spoonful of condensed milk

littlerach Mon 21-Mar-05 18:53:46

Add a bit more butter than the recipe tells you to.

Doddle Mon 21-Mar-05 18:55:14

I usually put in a mashed banana, not dry and very bananery!! The kids think it's yummy.

dramaqueen72 Mon 21-Mar-05 19:11:19

try this,
8oz oats
1 oz desiccated coconut
5oz butter cut in to bits
2oz muscavado sugar
4/5 tbsps golden syrup.
heat oven to 170/180 (gas 4)
butter square tin, line bottom of tin if you like.
mix oats and cocnut together,
melt butter/sugar/syrup until sugar dissolved. take off heat
stir in dry ingredient
spoon into tin and press down firmly.

for a treat top with bashed up nuts (brazils/pecans/almonds) adn a few chunks of plain chocolate pushed down into top,
then bake for upto 20mins until golden and darker around edges. leave to cool before cutting up.

it tastes good

tiny01 Tue 22-Mar-05 09:45:35

I soak the oats in the juice to two oranges or some apple juice first and use less sugar (trying to make it healthier) and then coat in the melted butter, syrup, brown sugar and all the other bits and bobs depending on what I have in the house (chopped dates give it a lovely sweet taste) The juice makes it nice and soft.

welshmum Tue 22-Mar-05 09:53:14

I made talkingtree's flapjacks last night with dd - we put in raisins too. They tasted lovely - but even better this morning.

Listmaker Tue 22-Mar-05 12:31:11

I made talkingtree's recipe too and they are yummy - mine are usually too dry! Am going to add raisins next time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: