Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When can babies have tuna?

(14 Posts)
Gobbledigook Mon 21-Mar-05 11:50:49

That's it really! DS3 is 6.5 months - can he have tuna yet?

Blossomhill Mon 21-Mar-05 11:53:05

Depends. Don't think he could have tinned as it is quite salty.

vict17 Mon 21-Mar-05 11:53:06

I think as soon as they are 6 months

strawberry Mon 21-Mar-05 11:53:22

Hello Gobbledigook! How are you?
Has he had white fish yet? I would start with that first as tuna can be quite allergenic. I am perhaps rather cautious though!

nutcracker Mon 21-Mar-05 11:55:08

You can get it tinned in springwater now though i think, not sure if that means he can have it thoough, sorry.

Lonelymum Mon 21-Mar-05 12:01:21

In the days when weaning started at 4 months, a baby could have tuna after trying the usual fruits and veggies. Mine certainly had it well before 6 months. It is more a texture thing I found as it doesn't puree very well.

Sponge Mon 21-Mar-05 12:14:51

I think the advice is white fish at 6 months and oilier fish from 9 months.
I'm not doing tuna yet for ds (7.5 months).

Gobbledigook Mon 21-Mar-05 12:19:42

Thanks everyone - I'll stick to white fish for now then. It's just that the other ds's eat tuna so I thought it would be easy to take a spoon out for ds3 and mash it with potato or something. I'll keep to cod!

Gobbledigook Mon 21-Mar-05 12:20:30

Hi Strawberry - fine thanks. How are you? Busy? I was mad, mad busy over Xmas and the first couple of months this year but slower now - just ticking along with enough work but not overbearing!

elliott Mon 21-Mar-05 12:26:12

I think I gave tuna quite early - defintely before 9 months, so perhaps around 7-8. I think the only thing to be wary of is the salt.

dinosaur Mon 21-Mar-05 12:28:32

Oh God I've got it wrong again - DS3 has already had salmon...whooops!

Grizzly Mon 21-Mar-05 12:30:38

I believe current advice is not to give tuna to pregnant women and infants more than once per week due to possible contamination with mercury. I have no idea how big the risk is - I have been giving tuna in olive oil to ds since he was about 10 months and try only to have it once a week just in case the scare stories have some foundation.

elliott Mon 21-Mar-05 12:31:35

oh yes I forgot about that grizzly.

Sponge Mon 21-Mar-05 13:03:02

Oh I wouldn't worry Dino. Everything you read gives different advice. I've just read one thing which says no meat or fish at all until 9 months but others who advocate all fish quite early. Heinz has a "from 7 months" recipe with tuna so it can't be that risky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now