Talk

Advanced search

Is Turkey male or female?

(8 Posts)
admylin Mon 01-Dec-08 20:26:36

Is the Christmas turkey eaten in England generally male or female? I'm in Germany and can get both, female 'pute' and male 'truthahn' so I'm not sure what to get!

thisisyesterday Mon 01-Dec-08 20:29:13

i have NO idea. but my guess is male. they prob keep the females to lay eggs to make more babies to eat.

but i honeztly don';t know.

however, I am thinking, that if that is the case, most places would do it. so if you can get female turkey to eat maybe it's because it's nicer?? is it more expensive?

emkana Mon 01-Dec-08 20:36:59

admylin, I've just googled a bit and apparently they are the same thing when you buy in Germany, just that Truthahn/Truthenne is norddeutsch and Puter/Pute is sueddeutsch. Hth

Karlo Tue 23-Dec-08 12:51:27

emkana, Truthahn and Puter are indeed the same thing but that is not what the original question was. I too live in Germany and am wondering the same thing. I can get a Pute (Truthahenne)(female turkey) but not a Puter (Truthahn) (the male) and that made me wonder what I have been eating my whole life in Canada and the US and England. I have never heard the sex of the turkey mentioned anywhere but Germany and wonder if it makes any difference in terms of the taste or cooking methods, etc.

numptysmummy Tue 23-Dec-08 12:54:31

Cockerels are tougher than hens hence coq au vin. Perhaps turkeys are the same.

Karlo Mon 29-Dec-08 18:38:52

OK, from "Joy of Cooking," the correct answer: There is no difference in taste or quality between male ("tom" or in German Truthahn or Puter) and female ("hen" or in German Truthahenne or Pute) turkeys. The difference is the typical size -- with females being smaller (usually under 18 pounds) while the males can weigh as much as 25 pounds. So, buy turkey according to the size you need.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Mon 29-Dec-08 18:52:14

Message withdrawn

HowAboutCleveland Thu 28-Sep-17 14:33:17

Thanks karlo grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »