Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed re sterilization of feeding stuff etc

(6 Posts)
hotmama Sat 19-Mar-05 17:22:46

DD is 24 weeks and I am just about to start weaning.

I believe that you have to sterilize bottles and teats until 12 months but don't think this is the case re bowls and spoons etc?

Could a helpful mumsnetter give me advice?

Thanks

colditzmum Sat 19-Mar-05 17:24:54

i think that oncen they are 6 months old, there is no point sterilizing there spoons and things because the food you give them isn't sterile. In my area we are advised that sterilising at all after 6 months old is a pointless exercise!

hotmama Sat 19-Mar-05 18:05:15

I thought that you don't have to sterilize feeding stuff after 6 months but do still have to sterilize teats and bottles as you have to be careful about anything to do with feeding milk?

Not really sure why you can seem to be less careful with food?

Not long ago, dd had a week of diarrohea, so I don't want to give her a tummy upset - so should I sterilize feeding stuff until dd is 6 months - or is 24 weeks close enough?

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 19-Mar-05 18:08:17

I never sterilised bowls, plates or ice cube trays that her food went in but I did her spoons till she was 6 months and bottles till she was 12 months.

WideWebWitch Sat 19-Mar-05 18:12:37

Once they're crawling and putting everything in their mouths anyway, there's not a lot of point in sterilising. Although the advice is usually to continue to sterilise bottles and teats for as long as they're used. It's fine imo to use dishwashed clean plates, bowls and spoons: they've been washed in very hot water. I used to sometimes pour boiling water over stuff if it hadn't been through the dishwasher.

clary Sun 20-Mar-05 23:38:03

I never sterlisied anything with DS2 (i hated the smell of the tablets and the general faff.)
He was b/fed till he started using a cup at 8-9 mo tho, so I never had to worry about teats (which you are advised to sterilise because of the likelihood of millk deposits). Agree with www about the dishwasher.
Please don't bother to sterlise bowls and spoons. 24 wks - that's 6 months isn't it? My ds2 was crawling then and putting anything in his mouth so what's the point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now