Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a gluten free dinner party

(13 Posts)
zenia Sat 19-Mar-05 10:29:49

I have some friends coming for dinner, one of which has an allergy to gluten, I want to make something filling yet simple, any ideas? Please HELP!!!!

cazzybabs Sat 19-Mar-05 10:46:44

risotto or sausage and mash or someotherkind of sausage dish and then fruit salad or a glutenfree chcoloate cake (lots of eggs and even almond flour). In Nigella's feast book there is a lovely gluten free apple cake - YUMMY!

Papillon Sat 19-Mar-05 10:58:51

have you done a search about gluten recipes... I did there are heaps to choose from
like this & this

Rice is always a safe food, or potatoes. Perhaps some oven baked potatoes, seasoned with herbs and a vegetable stir fry for any potential vegetarians.

cazzybabs Sat 19-Mar-05 12:04:37

Oh and be careful that sauces (such as Worcester) and some herbs may contain wheat flour - read all ingredients carefully.

Twiglett Sat 19-Mar-05 12:05:45

any fish / meat with vegetables

How about roast lamb and all the trimmings

or salmon with salad and new potatoes

zenia Sat 19-Mar-05 12:23:53

Thanks!

mancmum Sat 19-Mar-05 12:30:31

eton mess for pud... dvine... smash up some shop bought meringues... whip some cream... throw in meringues and chopped strawberries or raspberries -- I usually puree some of the fruit to make a sauce to marble thru... make just before you serve so meringues don't go soft.

Also, nigella does a divine chocolate cloud cake that is flourless...

tribpot Sat 19-Mar-05 12:51:44

Be careful - most sausages are not gluten free. Waitrose do some nice ones that are, though. As cazzybabs says, read all your labels carefully, wheat is hidden in the most unlikely places! (like stock cubes, for example).

If in doubt, please check with your friend beforehand. Nothing worse than them turning up and uncovering wheat where you weren't expecting it. This has happened to us before now, I forget that 'normal' people don't obsessively think about wheat the way I have to

Twiglett Sat 19-Mar-05 13:11:20

be careful with shop-bought puds, things you don't expect to have might have gluten in them (I'm sure some ice creams do )

tribpot Sat 19-Mar-05 13:17:28

Twiglett - yup, some certainly do. More obvious contenders being your cookie dough Haagen-Dasz type thing, but wheat, and modified maize starch (which may have been modified with wheat) is always lurking .. waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting

Labelling in Sainsburys and Tescos of their own-brand stuff is excellent though, and M&S do a scrummy chocolate and orange cake in case of doubt!

toomanypushchairs Sat 19-Mar-05 14:28:51

Marks and spencers also do gluten free sausages. all fresh veg,fruit,meat, are naturally gluten free. Sainsburys do some excellent gluten free pasta. £1.99 for a bag.(thats quite cheap for GF) it tastes lovely. You'd have to be careful about sauce for the pasta, but again sainsburys label their own brand stuff that is gluten free. what did you want to cook? could you adapt it for gluten free? My dd has been on a gf diet for the past 6yrs. I'll be online for a while if i can help, do ask

tribpot Sat 19-Mar-05 14:34:47

Don't think I've had the M&S sausages, toomanypushchairs, must have a look out for those, cheers!

One basic thing we do when we go round to other people's houses is suggest a 'make your own pizza' night. They can buy in the toppings and normal pizza bases (bearing in mind pre-grated cheese may have flour residue on) and we can rock up with a gf pizza base for dh.

Ditto with pasta, provided the pasta sauce is okay (e.g. made from scratch or has good labelling) - although we did this once at my parents' house and think that my step-dad accidentally gave him the wrong portion of spaghetti as he was sick as a dog afterwards I will remember next time to observe the process more carefully.

milge Sat 19-Mar-05 14:46:04

Salmon and blinis, made with gluten free flour.
Shepherds pie and veg/roast
Pavlova

Always works with my gf friends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now