Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I weaning too early??

(6 Posts)
RCollinge Fri 18-Mar-05 20:20:06

My little girl (dd? sorry i dont know the abbreviations) is now 5 months. At four months she started showing all the signs that she was ready to start on something a bit more substantial than milk - chompin on her hands, waking frequently in the night for feeds, showing a lot of interest in our food, etc.

I decided to start trying her with some baby rice - which went down really well.

She has been doing really well and I was feeling really happy and confident that we were doing everything right. She has a bf in the morning, at lunch she will have a jar of baby food (125g) and some juice from a cup, then in the afternoon she'll sometimes have a rusk. She still has some milk during the day, in the evening and once during the night.

I went to a mum and baby group today (first time we'd been - kept meaning too but stuff kept gettin in the way). Pretty much everyone there thinks that I'm doing this too early and that her digestive system is not ready.

After having been feeding her for a month I'm so worried I might have / or be doing her some harm??

We're getting plenty of wet nappies and maybe one of two dirty nappies a day. She seems very happy and the night times have become much more settled.

Should I stop what I'm doing and just keep going with bf until she hits 6 months??

jackeroo Fri 18-Mar-05 21:52:14

i weaned with exactly the same timing as you with DS - he's now 9 months and eats well and is very healthy. i think as long as she's happy and healthy it must be ok. i know some people wait til later but if you felt she was ready at 4 months then that's fine... as long as she's still having enough milk which is still very important i wouldn't worry...

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Mar-05 21:54:04

I don't think you need to worry - the advice when I had ds1 just 4 yrs ago was to wean at 4 months and most of my friends at the time did (I didn't but only because ds1 was, and still is, a nightmare feeder and not that interested in food).

DS3 is 6.5 months now and I started him on baby rice at about 5 months.

melon1 Fri 18-Mar-05 21:54:56

Agree with Jackeroo - although the guidelines are to wait until 6 months, every baby is different and I think you, as her mum, just need to go with your instincts.x

colditzmum Fri 18-Mar-05 21:56:40

I had ds2 years ago and the advice was to start weaning at 4 months, so I really wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps keep her diet very bland until 6 months?

ETsmum Fri 18-Mar-05 21:57:50

I'm with Jackeroo on this. We weaned our ds at a similar time - we got to the stage where we pretty much couldn't fill his bottles any fuller! Sounds like your dd is doing fine - I think her mood and good nights are two big signs that you are doing everything right. Aren't mother and toddler groups terrible for making you worry about things?? My ds is nearly 20 months, and I still worry about what the other mums are doing etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now