Talk

Advanced search

Pasta sauce - Tomato Based

(10 Posts)
BubblesDeVere Thu 17-Mar-05 20:53:03

Could anyone give me a nice tomato based sauce recipe to serve with pasta. I used to used tinned tomatoes until I found out that one tin has OVER the recommended RDA of salt for an adult.

Not bothered what goes into it as such except celery, the smell and taste make me ill.

TIA

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 20:56:38

just fry onion and garlic in olive oil till soft then add lovely tomatos(you can skin them if you want but i don't bother!)and simmer for 15 mins or so. you could add any veg(peppers, mushrooms etc) or just do the tomato sauce and chuck loads of basil in, mmmmmmm!!

hoxtonchick Thu 17-Mar-05 21:14:41

use loads of garlic! i like fresh tomatoes better. a bit of balsamic vinegar is nice too, at the end.

phatcat Thu 17-Mar-05 21:22:19

tuna & carrot - my student standby which still serves us well and ds likes it too. Good for hiding veggies in too :

fry onion & garlic & chilli flakes (optional) in olive oil - add loads of finely grated carrot, flake up a tin of tuna and add that, then add a tin or two of tomato puree, dilute with water to get a good runny consistency. Cook for a while. Fresh parsely / parmesan to serve. Also works if you add mozarella directly to the sauce - thickens it up nicely. Variations : add courgette / mushrooms along with carrot.

SoupDragon Thu 17-Mar-05 21:26:10

I'm curious - where does the salt in tinned tomatoes come from then? Tescos ones have only tomatoes, tomato juice and citric acid. 1g salt per tin.

GeorginaA Thu 17-Mar-05 21:37:29

Just doing a google apparently lots of tinned veg has high salt content as salt water is used as a preservative (incidentally, I'd far rather in these cases that they used salt rather than other additives... better the devil you know in an otherwise balanced diet, imo). Interesting article here about frozen and tinned vegetables. Interesting that they think tinned toms are the exception to the rule of avoiding tinned veg due to the lycopene.

Have to say that the only tinned veg we have is tomatoes (chopped) and sweetcorn (for sweetcorn fritters - SO much more flavour in tinned sweetcorn than frozen - about the only case where that seems to be true...)

SoupDragon Thu 17-Mar-05 21:39:53

But if there was salt water, wouldn't it be listed?

SoupDragon Thu 17-Mar-05 21:41:12

The only tinned things I have are tomatoes & sweetcorn. It's the no added salt/sugar sweetcorn too.

Oh and baked beans.

SoupDragon Thu 17-Mar-05 21:42:44

sorry - hijacked thread

GeorginaA Thu 17-Mar-05 21:51:08

Oh bugger... forgot baked beans

Hmm, I'm not sure... I'd check a can now, but I've just packed up the kitchen READY FOR MY BRAND NEW KITCHEN TO START BEING FITTED TOMORROW... YAY!

Now I've hijacked the thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now