Talk

Advanced search

what foods should I avoid for ds, he has sensitive skin and eczema

(14 Posts)
Beansmum Thu 17-Mar-05 12:38:56

Just been to the GP about a nasty rash ds has and she told me to go and talk to the HV about what I'm feeding him, he has dry skin and gets rashes sometimes as well as having a little bit of eczema behind his knees. I can't get to the HV for 2 weeks so does anyone know what I should be avoiding? ds is 9 1/2 months and eats pretty much everything except nuts (and broccoli)

Beansmum Thu 17-Mar-05 12:57:59

anyone?

nnosam Thu 17-Mar-05 13:02:18

my ds got same sort of rash which turnes into eczema about this age, hes now 2.1/4 and its just starting to clear. i cut out about 3/4 of his dairy stuff, still kept him on the milk, but cut cheese and yogart down, i also changed his bubble bath and wipes, got a lot better quickly.
then solwly after time brough it back and its seamed to work.
was told that sometimes their bodies cant handdle it all so it needs to reset.

Chandra Thu 17-Mar-05 13:07:39

DS has a problem with potatoes and tomatoes, and some beans but also has eczema flares if he eats lots of protein in a single day (like fish at midday and beef at night). I think the best is to keep a diary of what he eats and note any reaction. Considering he has eczema, I won't give him orange juice or uncooked cow's milk before he is one year old, and avoid nuts at least until he is 3-4 yrs old (DH and I don't have allergies but it seems DS has ended up with having eczema, asthma and apparently nut allergy regadless about how carefully organic we went once we couldn't improve his eczema!)

Chandra Thu 17-Mar-05 13:08:40

Oh, and very important NO EGG until he is at least a year old.

Beansmum Thu 17-Mar-05 13:14:55

Anything else? He has cows milk, but only on his porridge and he has only had cheese sauce 2 or 3 times since he started solids. I've never given him egg, he doesn't have any juice, just water to drink, and I have never used any bath stuff and have stopped using wipes so I'm really annoyed that he has eczema!

I never had it and, as far as I know, neither did his dad but my sister still gets bad eczema and has horrible dry skin so it must be in the family.

nnosam Thu 17-Mar-05 13:19:33

what about your washing powder. i get a hugh rash if we use fairy, so does dh. try changing a something else for a couple of weeks. see if it makes a diffrence.

Beansmum Thu 17-Mar-05 13:21:36

yeah, the GP said I should check my powder doesn't have bleach in it, some of the non-bio's do apparently. I'll buy something else on the way home and try that for a while.

Beansmum Thu 17-Mar-05 13:22:23

Hopefully we'll have a hot summer and ds can just be naked for a couple of months, that should sort him out!

piffle Thu 17-Mar-05 13:26:04

try surcare, we used a non bio for a while, then got anothr brand and dd got a rash all over form it
so back to surcare which solved it in a few days
I ahve also put dd on to soy and rice milk, mixed with half of her previous amount of goats milk as she is so phlegmy it is terrible, it has helped in less than 24 hrs.
Diary os one of those things that some kids just do not like much of.

Chandra Thu 17-Mar-05 13:27:22

BM, I think it depends on your child really. It's just a matter of finding what suits him and what doesn't, hence the diary. Is there anyway that you can boil the milk and let it cool down before using it for the cereal? Though I really don't know if it will make any difference.

I have been ranting all the morning because the inadequate medical attention DS has got regarding his allergies, I had been considering testing him for food intolerancies for several months and finally took the step today to order the test. I don't really think you may need it at this stage as from what you describe the eczema is very mild and it is highly likely that it will imprve lots in the next months. But if you need info about the food intolerancies test in the future don't hesitate to contact me

P.S> When DS eats tomatoes he gets the rash in his face straight away, I supose that if nothing like that happens to your DS then tomatoes should be OK for him.

Chandra Thu 17-Mar-05 13:30:05

BTW, I also used soy formula and have learned recently that soy is also another allergy trigger. And should be avoided by people with nuts allergies.

Beansmum Thu 17-Mar-05 13:35:04

ds is breastfed, luckily, or I would be panicking about which formula to use, and I make him hot porridge so the milk is boiled. I suppose it's just a matter of watching out for any reactions and trying to keep his contact with soaps and detergents to a minimum.

thanks for the help, I didn't want to go to my HV, I can't understand a word she says half the time and I'm busy for the next couple of weeks anyway.

bundle Thu 17-Mar-05 13:40:40

if we use bubbles in bath just once dd2 gets red patches behind her knees etc. i thought it was due to food etc with dd1 but it turned out to be chlorine as when we stopped swimming lessons her skin recovered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now