Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Dippers/nuggets esp. for EVESMAMA

(14 Posts)
gingerbear Wed 16-Mar-05 09:56:18

I made Enid's recipe the other day - I ended up eating more than DD they are so nice:

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

750g minced chicken
175g breadcrumbs
175g grated cheddar
1 tbsp mayo to bind
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
beaten egg and some fine toast breadcrumbs to coat the nuggets

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix all ingredients up to and including salt and pepper together. Form into walnut sized nuggets and roll them in beaten egg and then in toasted breadcrumbs. You can freeze them now if you want to.

Place on greased baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes (45 if frozen). Voila!

They don't take long to make and once they are done you can freeze them. They are delicious too!

Also: Annabel Karmel's Bang Bang Chicken is good....hang on, there is a thread.....

gingerbear Wed 16-Mar-05 09:58:16

here you are...

sweetmonkey Wed 16-Mar-05 10:03:41

can yuo use anything other than mayo as i dont like that but would like to attempt to make my own

gingerbear Wed 16-Mar-05 10:06:05

You could use an egg or a little milk instead.
However, It is only a tablespoon to bind the mixture, and you can't taste it once cooked.

iota Wed 16-Mar-05 10:19:38

and there's this AK one as well

Annabel Karmel's chicken and apple balls

3 chicken breasts or 6 thighs
1 apple
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
pinch herbs
half onion chopped finely
1 stock cube (I use a teaspoon of stock powder)
2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
flour
oil

mince chicken in food processor, grate apple, add lemon juice to apple, mix together chicken, apple, herbs, onion, stock powder, breadcrumbs

flour hands and shape into 10 gol fball sized balls.

Shallow fry in oil until golden for about 6 mins.

(Also works if you bake them in the oven about 10 -15mins at 180 deg)

iota Wed 16-Mar-05 10:21:34

and another one

The healthy option

To make your own nuggets, make breadcrumbs with 50g of bread, put in a bowl and season. Beat two eggs in another bowl. Cut three or four skinless chicken breast fillets into strips. Dunk them into the egg and then into the crumbs to coat on all sides.

Fry them for about 10 minutes. You can par-cook these more gently until cooked, but not over-browned, and then freeze, interleaved with greaseproof paper, until needed. The nuggets can then be defrosted and grilled until cooked through.

# From Suzannah Oliver's Healthy Food for Happy Kids: an A-Z of Nutritional Know-how for the Well-fed Family (Simon and Schuster, £10)

Nikkichik Wed 16-Mar-05 10:35:48

I spent ages making the chicken and apple balls and dd wouldn't touch them!! Dh and I had to eat them all. So much for healthy eating!!! Might just try the chicken breast strip option - less faffing about with the food as it were!

iota Wed 16-Mar-05 10:38:50

Nikki - try experimenting with the recipes - I don't put the onion in the chicken and apple balls, nor the stock cube, but I do add garlic and a little salt instead - have made loads of variations trying to find the one my ds1 likes the best.

Nikkichik Wed 16-Mar-05 10:50:04

Will do - thanks. She's not really keen on messed about mixed up food (if you know what I mean) so maybe the coated breast strips will suit her better!

gingerbear Wed 16-Mar-05 16:42:41

bump for evesmama if she is around

gingerbear Wed 16-Mar-05 23:53:42

bump

Evesmama Thu 17-Mar-05 21:14:20

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou..you are a sweetheart
i will try the strips first as dont have a mincer..they sound good though

Hulababy Thu 17-Mar-05 21:16:42

gingerbear - me and DD made our equiavlent of bang bang chicken (which you cookded for DD the other week) earlier this week. DD loved making it (and singing the song too ) and both she and DH ate it all up! Thanks!

gingerbear Fri 18-Mar-05 04:56:19

Great Hulababy
Evesmama, good tip from Hula - wrap a chicken breast in a double layer of clingfilm and get Eve to bash the hell out of it with a rolling pin or other heavy implement whilst singing 'Bang Bang, Chicken Chicken Bang Bang.'....just don't let the neighbours hear you.
Also, buy yourself a liquidiser or food processor. You can't be a domestic goddess like wot we are without one (Or buy chicken mince?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now