Talk

Advanced search

How to home make garlic bread

(9 Posts)
TracyK Wed 16-Mar-05 09:11:52

How do I do it that the garlic isn't too bitter?
ds loves garlic bread - but is the shop stuff full of salt?

Kelly1978 Wed 16-Mar-05 09:15:37

You can get garlic bread seasoning from the supermarket, to mix with butter. I do it all the time. If you use spread or unsalted butter it would be more healthy.

hewlettsdaughter Wed 16-Mar-05 09:16:04

hi tracy! could you roast the garlic first?

anorak Wed 16-Mar-05 09:16:28

Get a baguette - a half-baked one is best. Cut slices almost all the way through leaving a little join at the bottom. Make garlic butter with 2 - 3 oz butter and a clove or two of garlic. Spread onto the cut pieces and close again. Wrap in foil and bake in a hot oven for 5 mins.

You can add parsley or other herbs and seasoning if you wish.

anorak Wed 16-Mar-05 09:17:33

Garlic only goes bitter if you burn it. That's why when you fry it you should only do it very quickly. But you don't need to do that for this recipe.

Cod Wed 16-Mar-05 09:20:14

Message withdrawn

fairyfly Wed 16-Mar-05 09:22:45

Really easy, a garlic clove chopped up, a teaspoon of rosemary, a lump of butter, blast in the microwave for 30 seconds and pour over a plate full of sliced pitts bread. It is gorgeous

ghosty Wed 16-Mar-05 09:28:26

Try this easier way than spreading each slice:
Baguette split down the middle length ways ... make up the butter (150g soft butter with one or two cloves of garlic and some dried oregano or basil) and spread each half of the baguette. Put the two halves back together, wrap it in foil, put it in the oven at 180 degrees C for about 15/20 minutes. Then when it is done (butter melted and baguette a bit crispy) you only need to cut up the baguette in the sizes you want ... and each slice gives you 2 bits of garlic bread IYSWIM?
HTH ...

TracyK Wed 16-Mar-05 09:32:39

Thanks girls - I think I shall make some for tea! and load it with butter - mmmmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now