Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bubble and Squeak

(6 Posts)
mears Tue 15-Mar-05 09:54:50

How do you make it. Have excess boiled cabbage to utilise.

Catbert Tue 15-Mar-05 10:01:54

Boil some potatoes (or use leftovers), mash roughly with a fork, mix with cabbage (and I often use any leftover veg from a roast for instance - pretty much everything works OK - but it's the potatoes and the cabbage which are the essential ingredients)...

Then heat some oil in a frying pan, until very hot, and then press the mix into it. Let it cook for quite a while - I always think it should burn a bit on the bottom to give it a nice taste and texture! Then carefully turn it over (probably in chunks) to let the other side cook as well - and then serve with leftover roast meat...

If you save any leftover gravy (or make up a quick batch of instant) then reheat the meat in the gravy in a pan - guarantees moist cooked meat, and goes lovely with the bubble!

Yurm. Feeling like cooking a roast now, just for the leftovers! It's one of our favourite meals!

Catbert Tue 15-Mar-05 10:04:15

If you have any crumpet rings (ha! Of course, everyone has these kicking around!!) or large plain pastry cutters - you can squash your mix into these to cook. Makes it easier to turn over, and makes portions easier!

Lonelymum Tue 15-Mar-05 10:06:40

I just mould some patties by hand like you would fish cakes (those of you who make your own fish cakes!)

mears Tue 15-Mar-05 10:08:17

Thanks muchly. Would you add onions?

Catbert Tue 15-Mar-05 10:12:36

You could - but I don't in general, unless we have had them as part of the roast...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now