Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooked lentil casserole recipe please!

(17 Posts)
GeorginaA Sun 13-Mar-05 13:34:33

Getting in a bit of a rut food wise, have loads of split red lentils in (usually use them for soup) and fancy a lentil casserole. Will want to use the slow cooker probably.

Any tried and true recipes? Would like simple but tasty!

suzywong Sun 13-Mar-05 13:36:57

I have to say I think they would turn to mush in the slow cooker, they only take 25 minutes to cook in a pan

what else have you got to go with them?

GeorginaA Sun 13-Mar-05 13:39:42

hmm... good point re: slow cooker. Hmm, can I not add them towards the end? Slow cooker is appealing as the kitchen is being gutted this week, so I can bung the contents in the slow cooker in another room of the way and still eat something vaguely nice in the evening!!

Nowt to go with, but I'm doing the week's shopping menu now and trying to use as much stuff up in the cupboards as possible ;)

suzywong Sun 13-Mar-05 13:43:02

yes, of course, I was thinking things the wrong way round

can't pull a recipe out of my sleeve but will havea think

Prufrock Sun 13-Mar-05 13:51:03

I bung red lentils in at the end of a slow cooked lamb casserole (meat, carrots, onion, sweet potato usually). They thicken it up beautifully.

If you just want to do veggies and lentils, try putting some yellow or puy lentils in at the same time - they cook slower so add texture to the mush. And with just veggies I'd be tempted to add lots of Indianish spices

WideWebWitch Sun 13-Mar-05 14:39:05

Lentil hot pot is about an hour, hang on, will see if I can find the recipe. You can pep it up with chillis or Tabasco or smoked paprika, according to taste.

LGJ Sun 13-Mar-05 16:17:09

G A

Have bumped cheap recipes thread for you, not slow, but only 40 minutes.

GeorginaA Sun 13-Mar-05 16:32:18

Ooo... thank you!

motherinferior Sun 13-Mar-05 17:28:07

Ground cumin, that's what you'll need in there. And masses of garlic, obviously, and a good squirt of lemon juice.

Twiglett Sun 13-Mar-05 17:42:44

Hello I just happen to have big beef and veg casserole slow cooking in oven as we speak

do I just bung the lentils in the top? how long do I cook for with the lentils ? how much lentils?

(would it work, it has beef, onion, carrot, celery, courgette and red wine and stock in it)

motherinferior Sun 13-Mar-05 17:50:05

I reckon puy lentils or suchlike would work a treat. Bung a handful or so in?

(Oh, I'm so carefree and instinctive, aren't I - only around lentils, as it happens, comes of many years of wholefoody vegetarianism).

bundle Sun 13-Mar-05 17:51:15

nigella has a lovely one, a veggie chilli with kidney beans & everything..haven't got the book with me tho

Twiglett Sun 13-Mar-05 17:51:44

thanks oh veggie one

I only have red split lentils MI, should I not bother?

(I am having 2nd thoughts at the moment DH gets really narked when I mess up his meat with arty-farty things , its the Irish in him)

motherinferior Sun 13-Mar-05 17:53:49

Personally I would give it a miss and save the lentils for another day.

My DP has his anti-lentil moments too. For a Nice Asian Boy, he's very fussy about his dal

WideWebWitch Sun 13-Mar-05 18:03:57

I wouldn't bother either twiglett. GeorginaA, I went to look and the site went down, sorry!

WideWebWitch Sun 13-Mar-05 18:06:11

a few links to lentil recipes here

Twiglett Sun 13-Mar-05 18:06:43

thanks guys, not bothering

will check out lentil recipes though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now