Talk

Advanced search

when can little ones switch to low-fat eating?

(16 Posts)
ionesmum Sat 12-Mar-05 21:42:05

The products that I give to our dds are full-fat i.e. milk, yogurt, cheese, butter etc. However, dh and I are trying to follow a healthy eating plan and so use low-fat. This makes cooking joint meals like veggie lasagne or cauliflower cheese really difficult. I'd like us all to eat the same things. Can I use low-fat things in meals for the dds?

Gwenick Sat 12-Mar-05 21:44:07

DS1 (4yrs) has been having semi skimmed milk in things since he was about 2yrs old.

DS2 (15 months) is still drinking full fat milk - but I've used semi skimmed in cooking since I started weaning him......

Yoghurts - both of them eat whatever we've got in the fridge - which is generally low fat ones

ionesmum Sat 12-Mar-05 22:09:13

Thanks!

Gwenick Sat 12-Mar-05 22:10:27

I guess I should add that I don't know what the 'official' advice is on it - but I've got two healthy happy boys so it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I'm killing my children but it's worked for me

ionesmum Sat 12-Mar-05 22:24:38

I think I like dd1 to have full-fat stuff as she doesn't eat a lot every day and so I do like the fact that what she does eat is quite calorie-rich. But of course I have to think of the future and getting her into good habits early on, as Jamie Oliver keeps telling us!

Niddlynono Sat 12-Mar-05 22:40:03

I read somewhere that under 2's shouldn't be given a reduced fat diet.

I pay close attention to the ingredients for DS (2.5 yrs) - low fat or otherwise - making sure that he doesn't eat anything that contains any of the Dirty Dozen . I follow a healthy eating plan too and if DS is eating three meals a day I don't have a problem with him eating low fat cheese or whatever (Dirty Dozen permitting).

ionesmum Sat 12-Mar-05 22:45:32

Thanks, Bexi! The dds never get additives, but the other info is really helpful. Dd2 doesn't eat enough atm so definitely needs high-fat produce. Maybe dd1 could have hers reduced though.

BTW am extemely p**d off at the additives in Calpol!

WestCountryLass Sat 12-Mar-05 23:47:40

Can I ask where Splenda falls in that dirty dozen list? Thanks for sharing that as I am interested in these things. I still use full fat products and my DS is 5, I believe it is advised until atleast 2, but my DS is small for his age and not a good eater.

KatieMac Sun 13-Mar-05 08:39:20

Thanks for that list Bexibooboo, It's great

I'm give it to all my parents

loudmum Sun 13-Mar-05 08:50:35

the point of giving kids full fat milk is to ensure that they get as many calories as possible in a small volume to ensure enough for growth etc. If you are happy they are eating enough and growing well, there is no need to provide full fat as the lower fat milks etc have just as much mineral and vitamins in them... Both my 2 had full fat milk until about 15 months and then went onto semi ... they are good eaters, full of energy and a good size... I don't give them half fat cheese though as I don't think it tastes as good and would rather they had the real thing... and I have trained myself to eat smaller amounts of it -- this way we all eat same food and I think that is good for the kids to see they are eating the same as us

ionesmum Sun 13-Mar-05 19:02:10

I agree loudmum that natural products are better for us, even if they have to be eaten in small quantities. I only give the dds real butter, full fat cheddar etc. - nothing that's been changed too much.

kama Sun 13-Mar-05 19:13:59

Message withdrawn

ionesmum Sun 13-Mar-05 20:05:52

Good point.

Bozza Sun 13-Mar-05 21:01:21

I think the official advice is thats its OK to go to semi skimmed at age 2 as long as the child is well-nourished and has a good diet. Thats what I did with DS. Up until that point I had been buying full fat milk for his cereal etc but then stopped. Think I had stopped in the cooking before then. I also buy full fat cheese for all of us and full fat yoghurts for DS. Now that DD is on cow's milk for her breakfast DS sometimes ends up finishing off her full fat so that it doesn't get wasted. DD is 10 months and when I was cooking for her seperately I would use full fat but now she is eating with the rest of us she gets semi-skimmed.

Xena Sun 13-Mar-05 21:04:58

IM I think that sounds fine for you DD's especially if you continue to give them full fat milk etc. I think that if you look at many baby foods that use milk its rarely full fat I was surprised.

ionesmum Sun 13-Mar-05 21:20:05

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now