Talk

Advanced search

do you have a microwave?

(9 Posts)
babyOcho Mon 03-Nov-08 22:07:08

how often do you use your microwave?

what's the best feature to look out for?

we may possibly be the only household that doesnt have one. but i am thinking of getting one.

jellyjelly Mon 03-Nov-08 22:11:46

go for a combination oven rather than microwave.

Mine is fab, i love it. Heats up in 1/10 of the time maybe more than an oven. Its a microwave too. I have just started using defrost.

I use it more as an oven than microwave as i dont think that they are that useful. To use anyways.

littlelamb Mon 03-Nov-08 22:17:15

Hardly use mine now I think of it. Occasionally to defrost things. And dd has a waterbottle thingy that heats up in there. Don't use it to properly 'cook' iyswim. (I have a kitchen full of bits I don't use, including a toaster though I don't eat bread. Time for a clearout I think)

mrsmaidamess Mon 03-Nov-08 22:25:37

I do LOADS of things in mine. In fact made a syrup sponge pudding in it today for tea. twas lovely.

I think they are very useful, for defrosting quickly, and cooking smaller portions of things, like veg,also good for part cooking jacket spuds then finishing them off in the oven.

cat64 Mon 03-Nov-08 22:27:51

Message withdrawn

spicemonster Mon 03-Nov-08 22:30:40

I make porridge in mine every morning. Sometimes I give my DS's bottle a quick burst if I'm feeling kind. I use it for heating felafels, tubs of baked beans and lots of his food (small portions).

I also have a microwave fat free popcorn maker which is ace

deanychip Mon 03-Nov-08 22:33:31

use it maybe 2 times a day to heat milk up mostly.
occasionally beans.
dont use it to cook anything other than beans.

Could easily do without it though, wouldnt bother me if it broke down.

MissAnthrope Mon 03-Nov-08 22:35:31

We don't have one grin

Had a combination micro/oven/grill jobbie up until about a year ago when it conked out. Thought it would be hell without it, but now don't even miss it.

I've only once made the mistake of buying a steamed pudding that would have microwaved in three minutes but took a blardy hour on the hob blush

skramble Mon 03-Nov-08 22:39:20

Mine is a combination oven which I love, it can be used as a proper cooker, great for a couple of waffles or a pizza, heats up very quickly.

As a microwave, I make
porrige
heat plates,
steam broccli,
reheat cups of forgotton tea,
defrost rolls for pack lunch,
POPCORN!!!
heat beans and spaggetti hoops,
defrost bagels before cutting and toasting.
Reheat my homemade soup, which I batch make and freeze in takeaway tubs.
Occasionaly scrambled eggs, wouldn't use hob for that now.

It grills as well , hardly used grill, did bacon a couple of times as my big oven has an integral grill whcih is crap, but use my forman type grill for that now, so really never use grill at all now, don't think many people do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now