Talk

Advanced search

Rice - can you freeze it and reheat or will I poison my darhlink kids?

(6 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Mon 03-Nov-08 14:35:34

I have total culinary ineptitude. My poor DD3 lives on the same 5 recipes and I feel that I need to try harder.

So, she loves rice. Can I make the lovely rice and chicken etc recipes on this site, bag them up into portions and freeze them or not? When I reheat do I defrost as normal and whack them in the microwave?

I thought reheated rice made you poorly so how about the Annabel Karmel chicken and rice dish work?

Help please, I really am totally useless in the kitchen. Many thanks.

MadameCastafiore Mon 03-Nov-08 14:36:41

Not sure if you make it yourself but we use waitrose frozen rice sachets and they are great - 4 mins in the microwave and voila nice, fluffy rice.

cmotdibbler Mon 03-Nov-08 14:42:20

The important thing is to cool it fast after cooking - so run sieve under cold tap, and then bag up and freeze quickly. If you freeze in freezer bags and make them flat, you take them out of the freezer, whack in the microwave and they are ready in 3 minutes!

BlueBumedFly Mon 03-Nov-08 14:45:10

MadameC - you are my type of cook!

cmotdibbler - right, so if I can making a chicken and tomato and rice dish I can make the chicken and sauce together, make the rice then cool the rice, mix it all together and freeze it quickly? Did I get that right?

cmotdibbler Mon 03-Nov-08 14:49:35

If its an all in one dish, then just make it as normal and then cool and freeze. Its if you are going to freeze just rice that you should cool it fast rather than having it lurking around before freezing.

BlueBumedFly Mon 03-Nov-08 14:52:35

Great, thank you. And then 3 mins to reheat. Even I should not stuff that one up!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: