Talk

Advanced search

pate for 9 month old?

(12 Posts)
Beansmum Fri 11-Mar-05 12:57:06

is this ok? I know there is salt in it but is there much? and is there anything else in it that ds shouldn't have? I just had pate for lunch and ds grabbed some off my plate and seemed to like it, was going to give him a wee bit on some bread for his afternoon snack.

Beansmum Fri 11-Mar-05 13:18:57

?

colditzmum Fri 11-Mar-05 13:22:54

I wouldn't, I have a vague idea there may be too much vitamin A in it, and it can be a haven for listeria.

Beansmum Fri 11-Mar-05 13:30:12

oh, ok. Is the vitamin A because it has liver in it? ds eats liver quite often anyway, I thought that was ok? I'll give him a banana and a rice cake as usual, just wanted to give him a bit of variety, will have to think of something else.

Sponge Fri 11-Mar-05 13:41:34

Liver is fine for a 9 month old. The vitamin A can be poisonous for a foetus which is why you're advised off it while pregnant but not for a child of this age. Annabel Karmel has liver recipes so should be OK. I guess the food poisoning risk would be the only reason why not.

motherinferior Fri 11-Mar-05 13:42:16

I assume Bean is a first child - my second was snarfing down everything in sight by that age

Beansmum Fri 11-Mar-05 13:51:12

he usually eats everything that I eat but it seemed a bit weird to give pate to a baby so I thought I would check.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 11-Mar-05 14:02:21

The vitamin A is fine. Listeria is a bit of a risk, but if the baby is healthy, and the pate is good and fresh, I'd go for it.

Pate is one of DS1's favourite foods, he has pate + cucumber + red pepper sandwiches in his lunch all the time. The teachers are a bit freaked out, but everyone's happy.

fredly Fri 11-Mar-05 14:27:41

my book says not before 18 months - far too much salt

fredly Fri 11-Mar-05 14:28:33

and even at that age, not more than twice a month

Beansmum Fri 11-Mar-05 14:31:11

which book?

It doesn't have a label on it so can't find out the ingredients but I think I'll just leave it, don't want to waste good pate on grumpy bean anyway!

fredly Fri 11-Mar-05 16:07:09

it's a French book (I'm French) about babies and food. If you're still interested I can give you the reference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now