Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a biscuit/cookie recipe?

(9 Posts)
DippyDora Sat 01-Nov-08 10:04:47

I'd like to make some for christmas

Its first time making biscuits/cookies so need a straightforward recipe.

MamaG Sat 01-Nov-08 10:07:55

Why don't you have a bash at shortbread?

Ingredients
125g/4oz butter
55g/2oz caster sugar
180g/6oz plain flour

Method
1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Beat the butter and the sugar together until pale.
3. Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick.
4. Cut into rounds or fingers and sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar. Put on a baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until pale golden. Cool on a wire rack.

DippyDora Sat 01-Nov-08 10:21:06

oohh great idea MamG smile

I could give it a go now. I have all the ingrediants.

Would you chill it in the fridge?
What temp would you have the oven?

MamaG Sat 01-Nov-08 10:22:25

Actuallyh I never chill it in the fridge, but the recipe tells you to so I thought I'd better put it in!

oven 190c / 375f / Gas 5

DippyDora Sat 01-Nov-08 10:26:17

Off to give it a go - fingers crossed!

DippyDora Sat 01-Nov-08 10:27:25

I just realised you said oven temp in first post, sorry blush

That'll teach me to skim read!

DippyDora Sat 01-Nov-08 10:37:28

Will it matter if I dont have a wire rack?

MamaG Sat 01-Nov-08 10:42:48

God no

OK - I told you the official version, here's what I actually DO

Method
1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. check
2. Beat the butter and the sugar together until pale. check - but i sometimes cheat and microwave teh butter for 10 seconds first blush
3. Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick. check

4. Cut into rounds or fingers and sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar. Put on a baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until pale golden. Cool on a wire rack.

4 Cut into rounds or fingers (or leave as a big circle, if doing latter score with a knife, just gently, to make triangles - like a cartwheel - am I making sense there? So you can have triangles when its cooked and cooled). Don't bother chilling, shove in oven and leave on the tray to cool. Miss out wire rack grin

DippyDora Sat 01-Nov-08 11:01:53

I've done it your way! I'll let you know how they turn out.

I've cut into fingers but next time I think I'll try the cartwheel. triangles would much look nicer I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now