Talk

Advanced search

Cheese sause

(6 Posts)
chloemegjess Fri 31-Oct-08 14:54:12

Hi. A bit blush that I can't even remember how to make a basic cheese sauce! I have been so lazy for the last year I have used granuals! But have DD to make for now so got to learn everything again!

If somebody could tell me ingredients and amounts and also how to do it that would be great! And I will write it down for next time!

Thank you in advance!

cremolafoam Fri 31-Oct-08 14:58:37

from Deia online:
All-in-one White Sauce

The golden rule here is to use cold milk. So if you want to infuse the milk, pour it into a bowl and let it get completely cold before you begin.

Makes about 15 fl oz (425 ml)

Ingredients
15 fl oz (425 ml) milk – this can be infused but must be cold

¾ oz (20 g) plain flour

1½ oz (40 g) butter

salt and freshly milled black pepper

When you're ready to make the sauce, put the milk in a saucepan, then simply add the flour and butter and bring everything gradually up to simmering point, whisking continuously with a balloon whisk, until the sauce has thickened and becomes smooth and glossy.

Then turn the heat down to its lowest possible setting and let the sauce cook very gently for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Meanwhile, taste and add seasoning.

chloemegjess Fri 31-Oct-08 15:03:15

Thank you. How much cheese do I use with that? Sorry I am not good at cooking!

cremolafoam Fri 31-Oct-08 15:12:04

I would say grate in about 50-60g of good strong cheddar or a bit less if using parmesan.(Do this at the point of the sauce being smooth and glossy.)
good luck! it will all come back to you smile

DustyTvHasSizzlingSparklerssss Tue 04-Nov-08 12:19:47

Sorry to hijack your thread chloe, but can anyone tell me how long homemade cheese sauce lasts in the fridge or alternatively will it freeze. I have made too much and don't want to waste it.

Tigerschick Tue 04-Nov-08 12:26:05

Chloe - I put in cheese a bit at a time until the sauce smells really nice and cheesy. Enjoy smile

Cheese sauce freezes fine. When dd was little I froze it in ice cubes and just did a couple for her with veg.
It's also nice to chuck a few in with your mashed potatoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now