Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can I freeze sweet potato?

(7 Posts)
bonnyb1 Fri 31-Oct-08 11:20:43

I'm making some soup and I only need half of a massive sweet potato I have - can I cut the remaining half into chunks and freeze it?

captainmummy Fri 31-Oct-08 11:46:52

I don't think potato of any sort freezes particularly well, especially not raw. I would chop it into big chunks and roast, maybe with some flavoured oil/spices rubbed in and eat instead of - well, potato. Like wedges or chunky chips. They are softer than normally potato tho, so need cooking longer till crisp.

bonnyb1 Fri 31-Oct-08 11:58:28

hmm thought so, thats a nice idea, do you think if I put the potato chunks in water andkeep them in the fridge overnight they will be ok to cook tomorrow, or shall I just roast them and warm them up tomorrow instead?

captainmummy Fri 31-Oct-08 12:00:26

EIther really. They will keep under water for a day, or wrapped in cling. Chuck them in whenever you have the oven on.

twoboots Fri 31-Oct-08 12:02:06

I freeze sweet potato all the time. Just cut it into big cunks, then slow roast from frozen. Admittedly it depends on the quality of the spud, I find The paler ones don't do so well.

weebleswobble Fri 31-Oct-08 12:04:27

You could make double the quantity of soup and freeze some. I freeze sweet potato soup and it's fine.

bonnyb1 Fri 31-Oct-08 12:34:59

thanks everyone, I am making witches fingers, bats blood soup, chilli and an aubergine curry all at the same time while fending off a small over excited witch! I will just use up the potato tomorrow - I can't make extra soup because I don't have enough tomatoes in the house to balance it (the soup won't be red enough for bats blood) wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now