Talk

Advanced search

Latte or cappucino?

(32 Posts)
macherie Thu 30-Oct-08 20:48:05

I'm 39 and never drunk coffee (long story)

GP has said I need to increase my calcium intake, and as it's so freezingly cold here I thought a nice, warm, milky coffee might be just the thing wink

Pathetically, I'm quite excited about the idea, although a bit wary that I might become an addict.

So I'm wondering which would you recommend, latte or cappucino?

Cauldronfrau Thu 30-Oct-08 20:51:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SlasherGoober Thu 30-Oct-08 20:51:37

Both.
Cappuccinno is stronger. Both equally addictive.

bellavita Thu 30-Oct-08 20:52:16

Latte.

kerryk Thu 30-Oct-08 20:53:10

latte everytime!

If you are not used to coffee then start with a latte, not so strong and more milk so more calcium.

You can also get decaff espresso if you don't want to drink too much coffee but like the taste.

macherie Thu 30-Oct-08 20:55:48

Oooh, I'm getting excited now, so maybe start with a decaf latte - is there such a thing?

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Thu 30-Oct-08 20:58:37

I like latte, esp with vanilla syrup. Decaf just as nice ime

BlueCowWonders Thu 30-Oct-08 21:03:55

why not hot choc? Lovely and frothy with whipped cream etc Maybe work your way up through decaf to the 'hard stuff'...

AMumInScotland Thu 30-Oct-08 21:04:01

You can certainly get decaff latte's - I sometimes go for one instead of the caffeine if I've already had some that day

Habbibu Thu 30-Oct-08 21:07:44

I am charmed by your excitement - we should relish the little joys and novelties. I'd go for latte - properly made cappucino is a stronger, shorter drink, with less milk. I have decaf latte a lot (bought a bloody coffee machine as dh and I like coffee verr much...)

macherie Thu 30-Oct-08 21:12:20

Habbibu, you are so right, it's the small pleasures that make all the difference smile

So where should I go for my decaf latte, there's a Starbucks around the corner, or is there somewhere better?

Habbibu Thu 30-Oct-08 21:14:50

Really don't like Starbucks coffee, tbh. The staff in our local one are lovely, but the coffee tastes a bit boiled and weak to me. Independent coffee shops often the best bet.

macherie Thu 30-Oct-08 21:15:17

Bluecow, a hot chocolate would be gorgeous, but if I had one a day, I'd need a new wardrobe! Maybe for my Sunday treat!

If you would like to experiment at home, get yourself one of [http://www.bialetti.it/uk/catalogue/scheda.asp?id_cat=24 these]]. Very easy to use and makes great espresso.

Starbucks is ok, but there are some really good small cappuccino bars around that are better, more atmospheric, and with much better coffee.

fairylights Thu 30-Oct-08 21:16:35

latte latte latte every time! i was only thinking the other day that i should change my MN name to "ladylatte"..
caldron is right though - they are not made well in the UK but i would say that the caffe nero near me does a pretty fine one.
happy drinking smile

oops try again

halfaquark Thu 30-Oct-08 21:17:30

I like a bit of frothiness.

unknownrebelbang Thu 30-Oct-08 21:19:20

Neither - I can't stand coffee in any form.

I'd go for milky hot chocolate, even better creamy hot chocolate.

AMumInScotland Thu 30-Oct-08 21:19:55

You can also ask for a "skinny latte" to get them to make it with skimmed milk, if you want the calcium but are worried about too many calories.

macherie Thu 30-Oct-08 21:21:55

Mme, thanks for that, they are such cute little coffee pots, I'll have to give one a try. dh is laughing at me, I have a knack of turning every event into a shopping opportunity!

macherie Thu 30-Oct-08 21:27:28

AMum, that sounds exactly what I'm after.

Unfortunately, counting calories got me into this situation, I had issues with food in my teens, and so my calcium levels are pretty low. But old habbits die hard, so I'm more likely to drink it if I'm not worried about putting on weight.

So then that's a skinny decaf latte smile

Honestly, I'm so looking forward to it!

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 31-Oct-08 09:28:27

Costa Coffee latte is nicest in my opinion, its very 'mild' tasting (sure thats not the correct terminology at all!)so it would be a good introduction for a coffee virgin wink

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 31-Oct-08 09:29:46

on another note could you use smoothies to increase your calcium intake (fruit and yoghurt)? perhaps not til the weather warms up a bit though...

oopsacoconut Fri 31-Oct-08 12:45:30

I usually have a hot milk with flavoured syrup in - my fave is gingerbread at the moment. Coffee makes me wizzzzzzygrin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now