Talk

Advanced search

Turkey Steaks - can I poach them?

(5 Posts)
ksld Thu 30-Oct-08 16:37:21

Got some turkey steaks for supper tonight, I would normally put them in the oven or stir fry, but the DCs don't like the 'crispy' bits. What they really like is roasted breast meat. I was wondering if I could poach the steaks to make them more tender? What would I poach them in? Do they need to be completely submerged?

Anna8888 Thu 30-Oct-08 16:39:56

<shudder> sounds vile.

Can you not slice them in four/five length wise and chargrill them? They won't be crispy, just golden.

littlestrawberry Thu 30-Oct-08 16:41:01

I guess you could poach them in water with an onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, bit of celery etc to add a bit of flavour. They would need to be covered by the water, might taste a little bland though.

ditzzy Thu 30-Oct-08 17:02:51

Could put them in the oven in a tin with a bit of water with some onion etc and cover really tightly with foil. Then they'll be kind of half poached / half steamed with no crispy bits. Might take a little longer to cook though, depends how thick they are.

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 31-Oct-08 09:33:16

I'm not sure what they would be like...turkey is quite a 'dense'(?)meat and i think poaching really only works with flakier things eg fish? Essentially if you are just going to be boiling it in water theres not going to be much flavour.

Could you somehow braise it in gravy? I would think it would need to be cooked for a long while though to be tender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now