Talk

Advanced search

Big Halloween Bash - how far ahead can I make the food?

(3 Posts)
arfishy Thu 30-Oct-08 10:18:06

I'm having a halloween party on Sunday, people arriving from around 10.30 with food starting around 1pm.

I want to get as much done as possible beforehand but I'm not sure how long things will stay fresh.

The things I'm making are:

Cupcakes (chocolate with green frosting plus chocolate ice cream cone for witches hat)
Lemon Meringue Pie (I guess I can do the curd any time. Will it be ok if I bake it on Saturday?)
Jelly in hollowed out oranges
Spooky pitta shapes with guacamole (can I make this on sat if I squeeze over lemon juice and put cling film over?)

Hot dogs wrapped in strips of flaky pastry (for mummies). Can I make these ahead and just bake on the day?

Sandwiches - perhaps late on Saturday?
Crudites and fruit salad, perhaps fruit salad ok night before and veggies freshly chopped.

What do you think, most things ok for Saturday? Could I do the cupcakes on Friday (frosting on Sat) or would they dry out?

We're also doing a BBQ. Not too hard with the meat and salads, might do a potato salad the night before and make up veggie kebabs. Will do couscous with tomato/cucumber/avocado salad too, but that morning or will go soggy.

Any advice on doing as much as possible beforehand greatly appreciated.

TIA smile

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Thu 30-Oct-08 10:54:56

Cupcakes (chocolate with green frosting plus chocolate ice cream cone for witches hat) **they can be made friday**

Lemon Meringue Pie (I guess I can do the curd any time. Will it be ok if I bake it on Saturday?)**the meringue might go a bit soft overnight, so make the base and curd saturday and then do the meringue sunday morning**

Jelly in hollowed out oranges**they could be done friday, latest on saturday**

Spooky pitta shapes with guacamole (can I make this on sat if I squeeze over lemon juice and put cling film over?)**yes, I would have thought so**

Hot dogs wrapped in strips of flaky pastry (for mummies). Can I make these ahead and just bake on the day?**I would**

Sandwiches - perhaps late on Saturday? **do these on sunday**

Crudites and fruit salad, perhaps fruit salad ok night before and veggies freshly chopped. **saturday night or sunday morning**

HTH

and have fun.....sounds like it will be greatgrin

arfishy Thu 30-Oct-08 12:39:08

Ooooh thank you grin. Am annoyed at having to do the meringue on Sunday am. It will go wrong.

I will do the cupcakes and jellies tomorrow.

As we're doing a barbie for the grown up not too many sandwiches needed, so not too much hassle.

Thanks! I already have the lizard embedded ice bowl prepped in the freezer for the fruit salad grin. I am enjoying this far too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now