Talk

Advanced search

Aaarrrgh! How do I get him to try new food????

(15 Posts)
desperatehousewife Thu 10-Mar-05 09:59:11

DS is 2.5yrs old and his eating used to be reasonably good - from weaning onwards - he tried a variety of flavours and i did a lot of home cooking for him. Aged 1 he would eat vegetable fritters, minced lamb hotpot, pasta and pesto, gnocchi, home made burgers, mashed pots etc.

But over the last 18 months these things have slowly deteriorated - he just decided he
doesn't like stuff and refuses point blank to even try anything. So we are literally down to marmite sarnies, cereal, yogs, occasionally bolognase sauce, frankfurters and samami and chips.

After watching Jamie's School Dinners, made a decision last night never to buy frankfurters again - there is no goodness in them and I am
desperate he widens his menu and taste buds.

Just not sure how to do it!

I had a thing about food until i was 13 (literally only ate bread, cheese, chips and beans - would gag if I tried to eat anything with texture) so I am so so so worried about giving him any food issues.

we always eat together, I try offering him my stuff. I try just waiting for him to show interest in anything i have...nothing works. I have tried giving him little portions of new things on his plate - like cocktail sticks in peas to make it fun. Refuses to try.

Have tried involving him in the shopping for his food. He chose a roll of baloney. Then refused to try it (don't blame him!!).

Just don't know what to do - do I go hardcore and
refuse him anything but bread and butter if he doesn't try anything new. And accept that he will go to bed hungry?

Sorry for long winge - i just get so frustrated!! He's strong, healthy and growing - but I really want him trying stuff and eating a good range of fruit, veg and meat. Basically would love him to eat what we eat. Food is a really important thing in our lives, but not DSs!

sweetmonkey Thu 10-Mar-05 10:24:36

i ve started mashing brocolli and potato together which is yummy, maybe you could make shapes or faces with the food, might appeal to him more.
could you get him to maybe help you in the kitchen? just give him a little bowl of potato and let him mash it himself, i saw a food idea of mash with twiglets poking out to look like a hedghog? might amuse him
not v helpful im afraid
sorry

Mothernature Thu 10-Mar-05 10:25:25

Only bit of advice I can offer is although he is only 2.5 yrs, get him to make things with you, stand him on a chair if needs be, whilst your stood behind, get him to help make dinner/puddings etc by letting him put things in his mouth if he wants, let him try vegetables etc raw, show him its fun to do, I'm sure he will soon get the idea, all kids go through this by the way, good luck

desperatehousewife Thu 10-Mar-05 10:27:46

Thanks MN and SM -
I have tried this, but still not interested...maybe I need to have more patience and persevere a bit more.

TracyK Thu 10-Mar-05 10:28:21

old enough for sticker chart/bribery?

desperatehousewife Thu 10-Mar-05 10:29:16

definately old enough for both....am scared about making food punishable/rewardable...but maybe worth trying stars for at least trying new food.

littlerach Thu 10-Mar-05 10:36:46

We resorted to bribery with DD1, it was a case of if you try x you get a sticker, if you get x number of stickers you can have etc etc. it has worked, also DD2 being weaned had an effect, as DD1 wanted to be the bigger of the 2!!
At first we had a deal that if she really didn't like something she could spit it out, now she has to swallow it! And she does try new things now, without a bribe, and with less fuss.
good luck!!

desperatehousewife Thu 10-Mar-05 14:15:33

tried the whole involving him at lunch time - thought I would go back to basics (nursery food) and we cut out little shapes of bread and made eggy bread. Took one mouthful and spat it out. There is nothing he doesn't like in eggy bread.....aaaaaaaargh. [hair pulling out icon]

maria1966 Thu 10-Mar-05 16:41:34

My ds seem to prefer snacks rather than a cooked meal.Things he like include
hoummous and pitta bread with grated carrot

hot rod dogs(got this from big cook little cook)basically a sausage in a long roll with 4 slices of cucumber for the wheels

pasta with tomato pesto and grated cheese

sweetcorn fritters(batter mix and sweetcorn and grated cheese)fried in a non stick pan so not much oil needed.

sandwiches cut with animal shaped cutters

scrambled egg with chopped tomato and grated cheese

A few ideas that might help you,but as i have found the older my ds get's the fussier he gets.

desperatehousewife Thu 10-Mar-05 19:58:40

He just refuses to even taste a new food - tried the bribery thing today - you'll get a gold star if you try it. Just looks really hurt and gets cross and won't even have the new food on the same table - I have to remove it so it's not in sight.

HELP!!!!!!!

SenoraPostrophe Thu 10-Mar-05 20:12:35

does he eat new things when someone else cooks and gives them to him?

dd can be fussy at home sometimes, but will eat almost anything i send to nursery for lunch, so i send little tubs with a complete meal in and she has her main meal at lunchtime.

Other than that, i would leave off new foods for a while, then introduce something slightly new (i.e. something a bit similar to things you know he likes eg chips made in the oven with sweet potato, bolognese sause with soemthing new in it, but whizzed up smooth, home-made "sausages" made with very fine mince? ) and tell him that's all there is. Dd eats better when ignored, rather than when we plead with her.

I hope you can find something though.

desperatehousewife Thu 10-Mar-05 22:35:52

Thanks SP - he will occasionally take a mouthfull of something if someone else feeds him. he goes to nursery 3 days a week but i supply a packed lunch of safe food (eg sarnies and bolognase sauce)

Nursery do offer cooked meals for them (don't know what quality they are -probably ok-ish?!) maybe I should consider not taking packed lunch for 2 weeks to see if he will eat what they offer him. (terrified he'll go hungry though and feel like he's being punished)

Am I being a pratt?!

TracyK Fri 11-Mar-05 09:25:54

I don't think he'll be starved at nursery if you don't give him a packed lunch. He may be hungry enough and want to join in eating what the others are eating.

desperatehousewife Fri 11-Mar-05 09:55:18

your'e right T - i'm sure he won't starve. My only fear is that it's taken him 18 months to stop sobbing every time I take him to nursery, and he's just settling down there now and is happy. Don't want to give him a reason to hate it again!

persil Mon 14-Mar-05 22:42:28

Not sure whether I am going to help or not BUT my ds1 is 2.5 and very similar will eat pasta and pesto and occassionally minced beef with it but sometimes won't eat any of it if he doesn't like the sape of the pasta .
Tried the starvation method and his willpower was better than mine and after 12 days of only eating breakfast I gave in and decided it was not worth it....
Now I tend to give him what I know he will eat and occassionally add something new (which is always ignored) to the plate.
Just hoping he will grow out of it and try desparately not to get visibly irritated by it!
BTW he won't eat the nursery food either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now