Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I've got lean casserole steak and loads of veg, what do I make with it?

(17 Posts)
AmIWhatAndWhy Wed 29-Oct-08 13:19:51

I'm thinking a one pot sort of thing but am lacking inspiration.

I've got carrots, potatoes, swede, parsnips, onions, cabbage, broccoli and tomatoes.

Plus practically every spice and herb imaginable in the store cupboard ( a wee obsession).

mydoorisalwaysopen Wed 29-Oct-08 13:33:16

Are you joking?

AMumInScotland Wed 29-Oct-08 13:33:18

Personally, I'd make a plainish stew with the beef, carrots and swede, and add herby dumplings! Not sure about the other veg though...

Peachy Wed 29-Oct-08 13:35:21

Hee hee- its like cant cook wo0nt cook the basic version!

I currently have a stew in the slow cooker; beef, onions, swede, carrots half a bottle of red and a small bottle of guinness

made a loaf (rising atm) of bread with the ds's- fab

CharleeInChains Wed 29-Oct-08 13:36:34

Erm Casserole? grin

ComeOVeneer Wed 29-Oct-08 13:37:07

Erm I would go wild and make a

casserole grin

AmIWhatAndWhy Wed 29-Oct-08 13:37:39

What do you mean am I joking?

I wasn't imagining throwing all the veg in. I've messed up dumplings before, any tips?

AmIWhatAndWhy Wed 29-Oct-08 13:39:16

Ah okay I see your point. I was looking more for casserole recipes, rather than a suggestion I make a casserole.

my nan used to do a stew with pancakes, does that sound awful?

AMumInScotland Wed 29-Oct-08 13:42:47

3 oz suet, 6 oz flour, bit of salt & pepper, whatever herbs you like. Enough water so it sticks together. Bung on top of stew for last 40 minutes if you like them a bit crunchy, 25-30 if you like them soft.

poshbloodencrustedwellies Wed 29-Oct-08 13:44:10

I just use the recipe on the side of the suet packet for dumplings,it always turns out ok (you can add herbs or cheese for something different) I love dumplings made with caraway seeds.

AMumInScotland Wed 29-Oct-08 13:45:23

I've never tried stew with pancakes, but then I've never managed to ruin dumplings grin. I think the trick with suet dumplings is not to handle them too much - stir the dry ingredients together, then mix with your hands just enough to make it stick together and form into balls without too much fussing.

AmIWhatAndWhy Wed 29-Oct-08 13:47:46

Thanks, I've always fried the dumplings and added them when serving, that might have been where I went wrong. Caraway seeds sounds delicious!

I am thinking a bottle of Old Peculiar and a good glug of Hendersons relish.

poshbloodencrustedwellies Wed 29-Oct-08 13:50:23

Sounds delish! I'd go for the ale .

AMumInScotland Wed 29-Oct-08 13:54:40

You're making me really hungry, thinking about this.... good thing I'm planning a steak pie for tea!

Hallowean Wed 29-Oct-08 14:00:49

Chop whatever veg you like and chuck it in a casserole (dish).

Coat the steak in flour and fry in a hot pan to brown and seal the juices in.

Chuck in with the veg. Put a couple of bay leaves in and any fresh herbs you have to hand. If no fresh - put in some mixed herbs.

A tin of chopped tomatoes, some tomato puree and some beef stock should all go in too.

Substitute the tin of tomatoes for a glass of red wine for a really REALLY tasty casserole wink

AmIWhatAndWhy Wed 29-Oct-08 14:01:17

Oh yum. Steak and ale pie, I may have changed my mind about what to make!

AmIWhatAndWhy Thu 30-Oct-08 12:08:32

It was bloody delicious, thanks for the tips. The ale smelt so nice as it went in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now