Talk

Advanced search

Too many solids and not enough milk?

(9 Posts)
Loochyloo Wed 09-Mar-05 22:21:11

My 7 month old ds loves his grub and just gobbles up everything I put in front of him (as lomg as I pretend to eat it first, but that's a different sotry..) But I'm not sure if he's getting enough milk. He has about 7 oz first thing, then 4 oz at 3ish and 6 1/2 oz around 7.30 (bed at 8). Am finding it harder and harder to get him to drink his milk. Am paranoid that he's not getting enough (formula). Should I cut back on the solids so he's a bit hungrier for milk? I know a pint is tha magic number at this age and think he's well short. Basically I just keep shovelling the solid food in until he stops (not too sure on the quantities but it seems like a lot!)

hunkermunker Wed 09-Mar-05 22:42:58

Does he have other dairy in his diet? The pint can be made up of formula, cow's milk on cereal, yoghurt, cheese, etc.

TracyK Thu 10-Mar-05 09:11:17

Seems fine - give some cheese/yoghurt/milky sauces/custard etc to bump it up - but he's not too much off the mark with milk.

sweetkitty Thu 10-Mar-05 09:41:07

As I'm BF I don't know how much milk DD is drinking but she's having 5-6 BFs a day sometimes only for 5 minutes or so. I give her loads of dairy products though.

I'm sure he will be fine.

Loochyloo Thu 10-Mar-05 12:41:10

Thanks for the reassurance, you know how easy it is to get paranoid! He does have a bit of yoghurt in the morning and cheese in with veg, shall start mixing bit of milk in with grub just to ease my mind!

Will any cheese do? Sorry am bit hopeless at this weaning.

TracyK Thu 10-Mar-05 19:19:50

I think mild cheddar to start with - ds gets medium cheddar now. but I used philidelphia on sandwiches with sliced pears which were yummy.

hermykne Thu 10-Mar-05 19:44:18

that seems fine to me
if the day feeds are dropped they are compensated by his dairy/calcium intake which shouldnt be a problem for you

daisy1 Sun 13-Mar-05 17:08:19

I have also been worried that my 6 month old is not getting enough formula. The times and amounts are almost exact to your little boy loochyloo so I am reasured by that. I have found that my daughter stuggles to even take 18oz in one day so I found that cutting back on the breakfast (normally porridge) by a small amount helps.Does anyone know how much formula a 6 month old should take and when to start cutting back?

Loochyloo Mon 14-Mar-05 12:29:16

DS had a tooth pop through this morning! Maybe that's why he wasn't so keen on milk (too hot? and so bothers him?) Ooops and I didn't notice he was teething. Still he likes his grub and have started adding lots of cheese/ yoghurt/ milk to solids so conscience is a bit easier (despite knock re teething, don't you just feel awful when you don't notice things?!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now