Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Easypeasy freezable fish recipe please

(9 Posts)
franch Wed 09-Mar-05 19:38:22

- pref. not pasta - a really simple fish pie would be good but they all seem a bit of a faff. Pref. no 'convenience food' ingredients either. Any ideas?

Tipex Wed 09-Mar-05 22:01:50

I love fish pie. We do alot of variations in Tipex towers but basically cook fish in a little milk in microwave (I use mix of normal cod/haddock etc and some smoked) then add frozen peas, chopped hard boiled egg, prawns if you like them and then for sauce either a bit of quark (low fat cheese), parsley sauce from packet mix or sometimes some creme fraiche, basically whateve you have in that would make a sauce! Can also add tartare sauce for flavour. Top with mash and bobs your uncle. Yumm.

jamiesam Wed 09-Mar-05 22:08:31

Hmmm. Have never got on with freezing hard boiled eggs in fish pie. Otherwise can't add to Tipex.

Possible alternative an Annabel Karmel recipe I always thought too much of a faff until I actually tried - roast pepper, onion and courgette cut into matchsticks at Gas 4 for 10 mins, then add cod and roast for another 10 mins. Stir in 1/2 pint of cheese sauce and eat. Cutting veg into matchsticks sounds like too much of a pain, but worth it when it cooks so quickly and cod seems to cook very quickly and taste very sweet when roasted.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 09-Mar-05 22:16:08

This is the current favourite fish recipe in our house (just ahead of curried prawns). I got it from Annabel Karmel for the DTs and it looked so good that I made a huge one for the entire family. DS1 (12) can cook it.

Creamy seafood with rice

125g (4oz) each cod and salmon fillets skinned
300ml (1/2 pint) milk
3 peppercorns, 1 bay leaf
30g (1oz) butter
1 small onion finely chopped
2tbsp flour
30g (1oz) frozen peas
90g (30z) cooked prawns
30g (1oz) grated Cheddar Cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 tomato skinned, deseeded and chopped (if you can be ars*d)

Put cod and salmon in shallow pan with the milk, peppercorns and herbs. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 5 mins or until the fish is cooked and flakes easily. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon, strain the milk and reserve. Cut fish into chunks (I don't bother). Warm the butter in a small pan, add the onion and saute until softened. Stir in the flour to make a paste and cook for 1 min. Gradually add the strained milk, stirring until the sauce thickens. Add the fish to the sauce with the frozen peas and prawns and heat through. Remove from the heat, stir in the grated cheese and season to taste. Arrange on a bed of rice and sprinkle over chopped tomato.

We don't tend to do the tomato because I always forget it. The DTs love it as do the other children and DH. It is freezable. I tend to use the recipe as a guideline and put in as much fish as I think will do the family and compensate accordingly. Takes about 30mins all in. Gorgeous!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 09-Mar-05 22:17:06

that sounds really nice jamiesam. Must try that on the family tomorrow.

jamiesam Wed 09-Mar-05 22:25:22

MRMML...given my recipe so vague, feels a bit cheeky to ask how many yours is meant to serve - two I presume...

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 09-Mar-05 22:28:16

apparently it makes 4 portions for 12-18 month olds. I just chuck in as much fish and prawns as I think everyone will eat (and they eat a lot) then I just judge how much I should increase the rest of the ingredients. I kinda double up I think. We never have any to freeze because everyone always wants seconds. The DTs gobble it up

jamiesam Wed 09-Mar-05 22:31:19

thanks

Agree about the tomatoes btw. As if Annabel Karmel didn't have a bad enough reputation anyway...

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 09-Mar-05 22:37:18

You're welcome

(when cooking the skinned deseeded etc etc tomatoes I simply open a can and add)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now