Talk

Advanced search

Foolproof and child friendly chicken caserole recipe needed......

(8 Posts)
HandbagAddiction Tue 28-Oct-08 13:00:22

.....for a Nanny who (by her own admission) is not much of a cook!

Even better if it can be prepared in less than 30 mins...... 1 hour tops though....

Thank you!

LJWinN10 Tue 28-Oct-08 13:56:44

Do you want chicken in a cream sauce or in a tomato sauce?

Let me know and I'll give you a recipe!

smartiejake Tue 28-Oct-08 14:05:59

For 4 people (adults)I use 3 chicken breasts, one large onion, about 4 oz of mushrooms and about a pint and a half of gravy. Vegetables can be as much or as little as you like.
Any not used can be frozen. Takes about 15 mins to prepare.

Stir fry some onions and garlic for a few mins then add mushrooms and continue for few mins.

Chop up and stirfry some skinless chicken breasts for about 5 mins.

Throw in a casserole dish with some chicken gravy, pinch of salt and pepper, crumbled chicken oxo cube,chopped carrots, peas and any other veg that takes your fancy(but not broccolli as that disintigrates)

A splash of red wine also gives a nice flavour and I quite often put in a bouquet garni sachet too.

Put in the oven for about an hour and serve with fluffy mash. If the gravy seems a bit thin throw in a bit more gravy powder.

My girls love it.

HandbagAddiction Tue 28-Oct-08 20:49:07

Thank you - sounds lovely.

LJ - both cream and tomato would be great - struggling for inspiration.....

Tallis Tue 28-Oct-08 20:57:52

Can i offer a simple Delia one that my one year old dd loves?

throw four chicken joints (i tend to use two legs and two chopped-up breasts) into a frying pan and heat in hot butter until golden. Lob them into a casserole. Chop an onion and some carrots and cook until onion transparent and carrot softened in the remaining butter in frying pan. Add as many mushrooms as you want, plus courgettes, peas, whatever you fancy. Cook for a few mins. Sprinkle in two level tbsps plain flour. Gradually stir in about 10oz apple juice, plus a cup of chicken stock. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir over gentle heat until the sauce thickens.

Pour mixture over the chicken joints waiting in the casserole. Cover and cook at 350deg for one hour. You can freeze it very happily at this point once it has cooled down. Just before serving, I tend to stir in some warmed cream (small carton double) and sprinkle with parsley though some kids resistant to that last ingredient.

It's really easy. I'm a rubbish cook and it's never let me down. And it doesn't take more than 20 mins to prepare the stuff. Just a question of chopping onion and other veg really. And dissolving a stock cube...

Tallis Tue 28-Oct-08 20:59:23

Umm, blush, have just realised how similar the delia one is to smartiejake's. Doh. But I do recommend the apple juice. makes it lovely and sweet. .

smartiejake Tue 28-Oct-08 22:47:15

My recipe is not from Delia Smith!!!!

It's a trial and error/make it up as I go recipe that I have used for years!

Like the apple juice ideas might try that next time.

TheDuchessOfNorksDied Tue 28-Oct-08 23:09:06

This is very easy and the veg used is er, flexible!

Catalan Chicken: Dice an onion & pepper (and any other veg you happen to have, garlic, carrot, celery, courgette etc) and fry in olive oil. Thinly slice some chorizo and add to the pot with roughly chopped chicken. If using raw chicken, cook through. Then add can of chopped tomatoes, 2/3 spoons of tomato paste, good grind of black pepper and possibly a bit of chilli powder. Drain and rinse a can of cannelini or butter beans. Stir it up, stick in a low oven until ready.

Serve with rice, couscous, pasta or bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now