Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

tofu - what do I do with it?

(12 Posts)
yogabird Tue 28-Oct-08 11:22:09

It was lurking at the back of the fridge, a block of tofu. I poulled it out and looked at the date... 29 Oct, too late to dither any longer. I have to act and put it out of its misery. What on earth can i do with it?

I have a pretty impressive list of ingredients that might be added to it:
asparagus
mushrooms
celery
red pepper
carrots
all the store-cupboard basics but I really don't know what to do - what came upom me in that moment of madness when I impulse-bought it, i will never know but if it's not to be consigned to the bin, I need suggestions from you!! Please?

yogabird Tue 28-Oct-08 11:47:14

anyone?

hanaflower Tue 28-Oct-08 11:47:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

livinginadreamworld Tue 28-Oct-08 11:51:44

i love tofu chopped up into cubes and thrown in the oven with some soy sauce until nice and crispy. can then have them with lots of things, maybe stir fried veggies, or on top of a salad, or with a jacket spud.......

DecayingDisaster Tue 28-Oct-08 12:02:51

think its gross. put it in the bin ad eat veggies without. nasty consistency. sort of squeeky.

MrsMattie Tue 28-Oct-08 12:04:06

I can't abide the stuff, but my sister uses it quite a lot. She stir-fries it with lots of garlic and veg, mostly.

slim22 Tue 28-Oct-08 12:09:08

marinate and stir fry or roast

mash with chopped veg/garlic/soy sauce put in meatloaf tin and steam 15 then slice

Use as topping (mashed and seasoned) for creamy gratin

yogabird Tue 28-Oct-08 12:22:23

hanaflower, it looks like a block of cheese but softer and it just says organic natural tofu.

crispy cubes sounds good.My soy sauce is very out of date - anything else do?

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 28-Oct-08 12:30:22

I don't think it will matter that the soy sauce is out of date -surely it lasts forever?

hanaflower Tue 28-Oct-08 12:30:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

georgiemum Tue 28-Oct-08 12:36:03

Marinade in olive oil, soya sauce, fresh grated ginger and sesame seeds. Then griddle or fry until golden and crispy on the outside and serve with a stir fry.

yogabird Tue 28-Oct-08 20:20:24

fwiw we ate it! marinated it in a red chilli pepper sauce and then covered it in poppy seeds and baked it with jacket spuds and halved tomotoes and served with asparagus. The meal itself was yummy taken as a whole, but the weak link was the rather bland and bendy tofu (note to self, do not buy on impulse again!) thanks for the suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now