Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mashed potatoes in advance - why did they go wrong?!

(7 Posts)
Tinkjon Tue 28-Oct-08 11:15:23

I boiled potatoes and left them to get cold (not intentionally, I just wasn't organised ) and when I went to mash them they had loads of tiny lumps that I couldn't get out and they were all gluey. Is this because I didn't mash them until they were cold? I didn't use a processor, btw, as I know that can make them gluey. Could I do mash in advance if I mashed them when hot?

georgiemum Tue 28-Oct-08 11:16:35

You maybe boiled them too long. Aparently you just need to boil them until they are soft but not fallint to bits or they do go gloopy.

Ivegotaheadache Tue 28-Oct-08 11:19:08

I think cold potatoes do go sticky when they've been cooked and cooled, so you'd probably be better to mash them when hot and save them, they're normally fine like that.
Not sure how you can save your potatoes now though.

themildmanneredaxemurderer Tue 28-Oct-08 11:21:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

themildmanneredaxemurderer Tue 28-Oct-08 11:21:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinkjon Tue 28-Oct-08 11:23:03

thanks everyone!

LJWinN10 Tue 28-Oct-08 11:25:53

What type of potato did you use? Best to mash them when hot, but if this cannot be achieved, reheat them.

Microwave good for this, add a bit of milk and reheat in 2-3 batches, depending on how many potatoes you've got. 2-3 minutes in micro should do it.

Use a potato masher and then carry on mashing, adding more hot milk and butter as you go. And don't forget to salt.

To keep them warm if you do in advance, put them in a glass or heatproof bowl that fits over a saucepan but does not touch the bottom of the saucepan. Put water in the saucepan, not enough to touch the bowl and set over low heat. This is a bain marie. Cover the potatoes with a lid or aluminium foil. Keep them warm for a bit, but not too long because of milk and butter. A few hours probably ok.

Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now