Talk

Advanced search

Food in the slow cooker is boiling, should that happen?

(6 Posts)
Ivegotaheadache Tue 28-Oct-08 10:46:52

I have used the slow cooker for the first time today I'm making beef curry. Smells great.
So, the manual (well, not a manual a leaflet) said that 'high' was the normal cooking setting and that cooking time is around 7-8 hours.

So the ceramic pot thing was in the fridge and I put it on at 6.30 this morning on high and it heated up pretty quickly considering it was freezing cold. Then when I got back from the school run just gone 9 I could see steam coming from the lid and the food was bubbling like it does when it's boiling.

I trurned it down to low and it's just simmering gently but I thought a slow cooker didn't reach boiling point or something, is that right?

I'll probably have to leave the cooker on low for the day, but I'm actually a bit worried about going out now and leaving it!

It's a £9.96 cheapy thing from Tesco. Doesn't have auto button.

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Tue 28-Oct-08 10:50:31

LOL snap @ Tesco slow cooker. I love mine. I've used it twice, once for a basic stew and once for lamb. The stew was bubbling and making the lid rattle so I took some of the liquid out. Didn't help though. I did keep it on high for 8 hours both times and it didn't explode so it must be ok.

Furball Tue 28-Oct-08 11:01:45

mine does that, AFAIK that is how it works.

Ivegotaheadache Tue 28-Oct-08 11:07:06

It looks quite good too, you'd never know it cost less than a tenner! smile.

I've turned it back up to high as I'm not sure if the low setting is hot enough to cook the food, so I'll see how it goes. I'm not going out today anyway except to pick dd's up later.

It's brilliant, ds is sleeping and for once I'm not running around trying to cook the dinner while he's asleep. I love it!!
Though I am spending a lot of time looking in the pot and worrying about it grin.

shinyshoes Tue 28-Oct-08 11:11:11

If I cook the dinner in the slow cooker for more than 6 hours I have it on low, 6 hours or less I put it on high

Ivegotaheadache Tue 28-Oct-08 11:14:56

Thanks, I think I'll have to have it on low if I go out or I'll worry the whole time and then just cook it for longer.
But I'm planning on eating at around 4 (kids need their dinner when they get home they're starving or they eat the most amount of junk) so I think it'll be ok to have it on low for the rest of the time as it'll have been cooking for over 9 hours!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: