Advanced search

what's eggy bread?

(13 Posts)
sasa15 Wed 09-Mar-05 16:10:40

scrambled egg...or egg with soldier...

Gwenick Wed 09-Mar-05 16:11:11

bread dipped in egg and then fried.

hana Wed 09-Mar-05 16:12:22

naw...it's an egg with 2 tablespoons of milk and dash of cinnamon thrown in - soak the bread in this mixture then put in a frying pan ( you don't need any oil if it's non stick)
also called french toast ( much nicer name !)

sasa15 Wed 09-Mar-05 16:14:17

I got it....french bread....!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Mar-05 22:46:44

When I've had eggy bread in this country, they don't seem to put any milk in, just egg. French toast is much better!

I don't know how much milk I put in, but it's about the same volume as the egg. You can eat it with maple syrup, or ketchup.

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 22:51:49

Eggy bread is what you have when you are poorly. It's a soft boiled egg mashed into a piece of bread and butter which has been chopped into small squares. You have it in a mug so you can hold the handle and eat it with a teaspoon. At least that's what we used to have when we were poorly - I guess now you'd be too worried about undercooked egg to give it to a poorly child.

Bread dipped in egg and fried is French toast. Don't do it with milk as well myself. And cinnamon? Euwwwwwww.

helsi Wed 09-Mar-05 22:54:44

I just do beaten egg with a pich of salt and pepper. I find milk makes it a bit sloppy.

pinotgrigio Wed 09-Mar-05 23:42:36

No No No No No No. Eggy bread is bread soaked in egg and fried. Then you sprinkle sugar on top. Mmmmmmmm.

80sMum Wed 09-Mar-05 23:58:19

OK, here's the proper way to do it:
Take one beaten egg and mix with 2 fluid ounces of milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
Cut 3 slices of slightly stale, dryish white bread into sticks and dip into the eggy mixture. Fry the dipped bread on both sides in a little melted butter till golden brown and slightly crispy.
Serve hot in a small stack, with maple syrup and dredged with icing sugar (mixed with cinnamon if liked).
That's American French Toast as it should be - and it's absolutely delicious! Makes a lovely weekend breakfast.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 10-Mar-05 07:18:21

Ah, 80smum, we don't put sugar in ours. And you can have it with maple syrup, ketchup, or lemon and sugar. (And ours is proper Canadian french toast)

And I often make it with nice brown malted bread.

You do have to be careful to only put the bread in the mix briefly, otherwise it collapses.

I don't call this stuff eggy bread, though.

TracyK Thu 10-Mar-05 09:13:53

I don't do with salt or sugar for ds - but he does have it for dinner 5 nights out of 7 at the mo - it's his favorite food in the whole world.

Ameriscot2005 Thu 10-Mar-05 09:27:44

Eggy bread is another name for French toast.

sweetkitty Thu 10-Mar-05 09:39:22

French toast = eggy bread

beat 3 eggs with salt and pepper use to coat bread (has to be white) and shallow fry

yum yum yum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now