Talk

Advanced search

Want to make smoked salmon risotto - have no recipe but have ideas on what to do. Advice needed

(13 Posts)
TheArmadillo Sat 25-Oct-08 13:34:49

I want to make a smoked salmon risotto for dinner tonight as MIL is coming over. I can't find a recipe that matches what I want to do.

Can you give me opinions on this.

I want to cook the smoked salmon in the risotto as I (and MIL) adore it cooked. I have white wine and a lemon to cook in with the stock and I have asparagus and peas to go in the risotto. I have some rocket, baby spinach and parmesan shavings. As well as both chicken and vegetable stock.

Also have shallots, garlic, poss some ginger, black pepper, dried herbs and some fresh ones in the garden.

All the recipes I can find don't cook the salmon and tend to add something like mascopone which I don't want.

If I just did the salmon, asparagus and peas cooked with the risotto rice and the liquid made of a mixture of veg stock, white wine and lemon juice. Then served it with the rocket/baby spinach and parmesan on top, do you think that would work? What herbs would you put with it? Am not sure garlic/shallots would work with it.

Any advice?

Overmydeadbody Sat 25-Oct-08 13:56:24

I think that would work tbh, I don't think you need add any more flavourings as the smoked salmon is storng enough and will be lovely with the stock and lemon juice and white wine. Just season it with slat and pepper and keep it simple

I don't think you need garlic and onion either.

Can you send me the leftovers?grin

BBBeeast Sat 25-Oct-08 13:58:32

I would do what omdb said and make a very striahgt forard plain risotto with maybe wine, spring onion and lemon - find a recipe and take out all the strong flavours. I would slice the salmon and put it in at the last moment with a touch of cream.

it sounds wonderful - what a lovely idea.

TheArmadillo Sat 25-Oct-08 13:59:48

That's what I'm thinking as I don't want it to be completely overpowering or too many confusing flavours.

I will give it a go and see how it works out.

Thanks grin

TheArmadillo Sat 25-Oct-08 14:00:45

ooh cross posted.

Yes I have some cream in the fridge - that sounds good.

BBBeeast Sat 25-Oct-08 14:01:18

have you got any capers? capers on the side would be divine (or maybe that is just me)

TheArmadillo Sat 25-Oct-08 14:02:25

no capers.

I don't like them unfortunately. I could see it working if I did.

You think pickled onions do instead wink

Overmydeadbody Sat 25-Oct-08 14:03:55

I'm not sure capers would work with a creamy dish, but that's probably just me!

MrsPickles Sat 25-Oct-08 14:12:50

OK my smoked salmon risotto rocks and I use similar ingredients to what you have.
I would fry shallots & garlic, add risotto, dry cook for 5 mins, then add wine, then add veg stock. Add asparagus, peas, smoked salmon & wilted chopped spinach in the last 5 mins - more than enough to cook those ingredients (although maybe put the asparagus in a little bit earlier). Or, as you suggested, alternatively leave out the spinach in the risotto and use it to serve with as salad. Not sure I would use rocket as well - maybe too many flavours there as rocket is quite strong - I am not a huge fan though. I wouldn't put herbs in - you have the shallots, garlic, wine, & the yummy smoked salmon - it will be lush. Just put lots of black pepper & parmesan as you say. You could put a bit of cream in but I find risotto is so gorgeously creamy anyway that I never use it.
I'm very hungry now.

TheArmadillo Sat 25-Oct-08 14:18:30

ta very much.

I might leave the salad up to the eater's discretion then.

Nice to hear that you've made similar and it's worked.

I should have said the asparagus and peas are frozen so will add them earlier (at least the asparagus) to cook thru.

Will try it before adding cream I think.

We eat a lot of black pepper here. I do love it.

BBBeeast Sat 25-Oct-08 14:35:33

you do realise we expect you to come and report back you know! <<<getws pen and paper>>>

TheArmadillo Sat 25-Oct-08 21:53:02

It was lovely. What I did in the end was (cos I was tired and have hurt back today so wasn't in to standing much)

melted butter in pan and added rice, stirring round till covered.

Added veg stock, white wine, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper.

Tore up the smoked salmon and chucked it in with some frozen peas.

Then brought to the boil, turned down and simmered for 15 mins.

Served with some parmesan on top.

It was delish.

Smelt and tasted very fishy but in good way.

(Followed by ice cream with red fruit coulis that was fab).

MrsPickles Mon 27-Oct-08 22:24:23

Yum! Glad it turned out well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now