Talk

Advanced search

Do you read labels?

(17 Posts)
hunkermunker Tue 08-Mar-05 22:51:43

Are you an ingredient hawk? Do you like to know what you're putting into your body? Are you only interested in how much you can buy for your money and not really bothered about the ingredients? Would you like to eat better food but you don't know how? Or do you not give a toss what's in it as long as it tastes nice?

I sound like an ad for a healthy eating plan, I'm not, I'm just interested!

pixiefish Tue 08-Mar-05 22:54:16

YES- I read labels to make sure there's no dairy. Even if it doesn't list milk under the 'this product contains...' bit I always check to see what else.
Also keep an eye on the salt content of food that dh and i eat. try to prepare most things from fresh but i work 2 days a week so on those days we tend to have pie and mash or something quick

maisystar Tue 08-Mar-05 22:55:52

yes i always read them. had been using lea and perrins for about a year after i became veggy before i realsied it had fish in!

marthamoo Tue 08-Mar-05 22:57:05

Yes I read labels religiously - nutritional values for me (WeightWatchers!) and ingredients more for the children. I like to buy things that have ingredients I can pronounce! And I regularly pick things up that I fancy the look of, read the label, and put them back on the shelf when I find they're full of cr@p.

pixiefish Tue 08-Mar-05 22:59:32

That's one of the reasons i've stopped online shoppping is that i can't read the labels and the shopping had got very boring. That and the cr@p service we'd had recently. Plus my desire to buy more fresh local produce.

Surfermum Tue 08-Mar-05 23:07:49

I didn't much pre-dd, other than to check out calories or fat content if I was on a diet. I do religiously for anything I get for dd now. I've got a handy little card from Organix with "The Dirty Dozen" ingredients, which has been invaluable as I didn't have a clue before.

pixiefish Tue 08-Mar-05 23:08:43

that sounds good surfermum-where did you get that from/ or rather how did you get it

hunkermunker Tue 08-Mar-05 23:11:11

I do find myself buying more organic things than I ever did pre-DS - they don't seem to have made organic monosodium glutamate and other nasties

It's a bit more expensive, but I eat less now too

Snugs Tue 08-Mar-05 23:14:05

Don't know about any of the other online shops, but with Tesco you can click on the product and read the label.

stupidgirl Tue 08-Mar-05 23:15:13

I have always been a label reader as I'm veggie and quite obsessive!

More recently I've started checking labels for all the nasties like monosodium glutamate and aspartame, etc.

Surfermum Tue 08-Mar-05 23:15:55

I think I sent off a card for some info and freebies, pixiefish. Their website is here

Janh Tue 08-Mar-05 23:19:07

I'm a fairly obsessive label reader - look for sweeteners, msg, thickeners, chemical colours and other unnecessary additives.

Still buy some crap though.

Niddlynono Tue 08-Mar-05 23:24:08

Like Surfermum I use the Dirty Dozen card too when I'm buying food for DS. I'm less fussy for myself but I'm doing Weightwatchers as well so I'm more interested in calories and saturated fat than anything else.

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 09:05:56

Well, I still buy some crap too, Janh

That link doesn't work Surfermum - takes me to some strange American place (America?) I'm off to google now - I want a Dirty Dozen card too!

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 09:07:23

here?

TracyK Wed 09-Mar-05 09:08:55

What are the dirty dozen? I'm on Organix database and get magazines etc but haven't had the dirty dozen card.

Bozza Wed 09-Mar-05 09:15:35

Good link that - with some recipes I might try. I'm getting more and more interested in what we have in our food. I think mumsnet has raised my awareness to a great degree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now