Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

sorry for such a poncey question but...

(20 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Tue 08-Mar-05 21:04:13

what are your thoughts about toddlers and sushi/sashimi?

i'm really big on getting ds (16 months) to try everything...is there any reason why he can't have these too?

Beetroot Tue 08-Mar-05 21:06:21

Message withdrawn

helsi Tue 08-Mar-05 21:07:11

I can't see a problem with the sashimi as its just rice, veg and seaweed roll. Could sushi be a bit hard to chew? Not sure about it being uncooked either. Hoe do japanese people feed it to their youngsters? Any Japanese members?

WideWebWitch Tue 08-Mar-05 21:08:20

I don't see why not. As long as any raw fish is fresh, I can't think what any risk would be. I wonder if Japanese mothers give it that young?

prunegirl Tue 08-Mar-05 21:08:20

Message withdrawn

snafu Tue 08-Mar-05 21:08:33

I don't see why not. I'd give it to ds, probably. Very healthy anyway

Cod Tue 08-Mar-05 21:10:29

Message withdrawn

Heathcliffscathy Wed 09-Mar-05 09:09:46

CountessDracula Wed 09-Mar-05 09:15:15

PONCE!!!!

Personally would rather eat my dog than sushi.

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 09:20:46

Now what's wrong with a nice turkey twizzler, soph?

mummytosteven Wed 09-Mar-05 09:21:41

or a sausage roll from greggs/sayers?

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 09:28:45

Or a nice pack of Dairylea Lunchables?

Marina Wed 09-Mar-05 09:48:25

Or a nice juicy Peperami, which my "real (poncy) food" reared ds, five keeps nagging me for incessantly

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 10:00:21

If I had a pound for every time ds2 asks me for a biscuit I'd be able to pay someone to do my ironing.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Mar-05 10:04:00

sophable, I'd be a bit nervous about sushi or sashimi at this age. I'd be careful to be sure it was from a good place, and maybe stick to the "safer" stuff, like prawn, or salmon roe.

Thinking about it, though, I'm sure DS1 had raw fish before he was two. As long as his immune system is good, why not?

(I don't remember DS1 being mad for sushi, but he's not much into fish. He does like seafood though, had mussels yesterday and was very pleased.)

handlemecarefully Wed 09-Mar-05 10:09:04

No nothing wrong with it (other than it's revolting of course)

muminlondon Fri 11-Mar-05 21:30:36

It's probably too late to comment now, but just make sure it's not raw tuna. The only time I've ever had a severe allergic reaction was after eating fresh tuna steak - real heart-pounding stuff within 15 minutes - blood-shot eyes/double vision, top-to-toe rash and breathing problems. Apparently it's a common reaction to the toxins of bacteria in either raw or fresh tuna that's off.

Sorry, I sound like the voice of doom but it was pretty frightening at the time!

expatinscotland Fri 11-Mar-05 21:31:58

Hmm. I'm not a sushi/sashimi fan myself. But hey, Japanese toddlers eat it. Go for it!

PrettyCandles Fri 11-Mar-05 21:39:25

I took my two to Yo-Sushi when they were 3.5y and 14m. I didn't give them anything raw (stuffed my own face though ) on the principle that if we shouldn't give them lightly cooked eggs, then raw fish might be just as potentially dangerous. Nonetheless there was lots of cooked stuff that they enjoyed.

Don't be in a hurry sophable, there's plenty of time to widen his tastes. In any case, liking something today means nothing for the future. Ds used to love peas, suddenly decided he didn't like them and now genuinely gags on them - but only if he knows he's eating them.

Nome Fri 11-Mar-05 21:45:44

The FSA say that supermarket sushi is fine in pg as is has been frozen at -20 for 24 hours. If your toddler will eat it, why not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now