Talk

Advanced search

So if you've lived in Australia and made chocolate crackles...

(18 Posts)
bloss Thu 23-Oct-08 19:57:09

Message withdrawn

AussieLou Thu 23-Oct-08 20:11:00

Hi Bloss
I have searched and tried and nothing works.I even tried to make my own (dont ever ever try this) You can order copha from the australia shop. I was on a waiting list for 6 months once but I think they have some in stock now...also the 100´s and 1000´s in the Uk are not as nice as the oz ones. Dont ask me why but fairy bread tastes funny over here.

bloss Thu 23-Oct-08 20:26:51

Message withdrawn

WobblyPig Thu 23-Oct-08 20:29:46

No such thing in England. I also went on hunt and had to bring it over myself. It's annoying cos chocolate crackles melt without it.
Also no Golden Roughs; no malted milkshakes; no Passiona - my childhood was not a healthy one.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 23-Oct-08 20:32:59

having just googled to find out wtf it is, I will definitely stick to the British way of making chocolate crackles which is to use chocolate not hydrogenated coconut oil and cocoa.

rislip Thu 23-Oct-08 20:34:11

I miss the weet bix too!

bloss Fri 24-Oct-08 07:08:11

Message withdrawn

rislip Fri 24-Oct-08 07:41:10

Bloss oh no, a weetbix crisis. I miss home!

ninedragons Fri 24-Oct-08 07:47:33

Are you in London? Coconut fat is the sort of thing you could try the Caribbean grocery shops in Brixton for.

Podmog Fri 24-Oct-08 07:52:55

Message withdrawn

arfishy Fri 24-Oct-08 07:55:02

Is that why caramel slices here taste coconutty? I always wondered.

I make my chocolate crackles with melted mars bars. The caramel makes it all stick together.

bloss Fri 24-Oct-08 09:20:19

Message withdrawn

rislip Fri 24-Oct-08 13:34:30

does anyone have the mars bar slice recipe as well? can't for the life of me remember how to make it. thanks

AussieLou Fri 24-Oct-08 18:56:38

I used to make my Mars bar slice
6 - 8 mars bars melted
3 cups rice bubbles (i am choosing the antipodean version as opposed to the rice krispie nonsense)
tablespoon butter melted
2-4 blocks Cadbury dairy milk melted
(all depends on how piggy you are feeling)
Mix mars bubbles together
Put in pan, smoosh down flat and solid
Mix butter and chocolate
Pour choc mix over bubble mixture
Refridgerate
Cut in pieces
Eat lots before giving to kids
Hide most then eat it and tell the kids you only made a small amount.

rislip Fri 24-Oct-08 20:38:09

Thanks Aussie Loo - do you reckon that the rice krispies will work? I love the old game of hide and seek sweets with the kids.

AussieLou Fri 24-Oct-08 20:51:09

They are one and the same product (dont undertand why companies change the names of products for different countries (cif/jif easy off bam/cillit bang etc) so they will be fins. You can use homebrand ones as well.

livinginadreamworld Sat 25-Oct-08 14:32:15

O... rislip and bloss, re weetbix, you want to buy sainsburys own brand cheapest 'wheat biscuits' they are very very very close to weetbix and far superior to the usual weetabix! smile

DumbledoresGirl Sat 25-Oct-08 14:47:15

There is categorically nothing in GB that tastes the same as copha. MIL brings it over with her when she comes so the children can taste "proper" chocolate crackles. hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: