Talk

Advanced search

how much and what food does your 11 yr old boy eat..

(58 Posts)
MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 16:37:14

usually each day - am just wondering whether ds is eating enough. Thanks smile

bellavita Thu 23-Oct-08 16:45:38

Barely a slice of toast for breakfast, but if I offered eggy bread then he would eat 3 slices, or if I had made blackberry oat bars he would have 2/3 of these.

Lunch at home would be a sandwhich and a piece of fruit or if at school a panini and packet of crisps or say curry, rice and chips.

Dinner he eats as much as his dad - especially home made meat pie, will always ask for seconds.

He also will have a piece of fruit after tea and then say jelly/icecream and probably some home made cake/biscuits, he would then come back half an hour later and say he was still hungry.

He can also eat grapes by the bag full.

Mercy Thu 23-Oct-08 16:56:24

Wow, does the increase in appetite really start that young?

Your food sounds delicious bellavita. Could I ask for your oat bars recipe?

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 16:57:43

hi bellavita ! ds has been saying he's hungry which has made me think..he always eats pretty well so am not unduly worried, just wanted to see how much 'bulk' he needs to keep him going !

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 17:02:52

does this sound ok...today randomly picked...
bowl of dry cereal with a bit of chopped apple
cup of green tea
quarter of a glass of orange juice
2 slices of toast with marmalade

pate and lettuce sandwich/a few more bits of apple/water/
dried mango and a bag of marmite breadsticks on the way home

He's just had a cup of hot choc, some dried apricots, 2 oatcake biscuits,satsuma and a big chocolate cookie (and a few jelly worms)
Supper will be some chicken pie with potatoes and broccoli or sprouts and either an ice lolly or some fruit

Actually,that seems like a lot to me ! he is quite small and skinny and never sits still

Mercy Thu 23-Oct-08 17:14:17

I've just looked at the Food Standards Agency site and it say boys aged 11-14 need about 2,220 calories per day.

Does your ds eat dairy products?

bellavita Thu 23-Oct-08 17:17:50

Wow, MAS that does seem a lot, but you know DS2 who will be 9 next month still has to wear age 7 trousers because his waist is that skinny (luckily he is not tall otherwise the length would be no good) and he never sits still.

Sometimes DS1 is bored and he then asks for things to eat, so I only offer fruit on those occasions.

I think what your DS eats sounds fine.

Mercy - oat bars

8oz plain flour
7oz oats
250g buter
6oz caster sugar
pack of pecan nuts - broken up
11oz blackberries
around 3 tablespoons demerera sugar

Rub flour, oats and butter in (don't worry there will be biggish lumps left - it will be fine). Spread 2/3rds of mixture into a tin (I use a brownie/swiss roll tin about an inch deep) and compact it down, spread fruit over then add the rest of the mixture - press down, sprinkle over demerera sugar.

170 degrees for 35 mins.

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 17:44:34

thanks - he wears 9-10 yr olds clothes btw
doesn't eat dairy,maybe a bit of mozzarella in salad and a small bit of smoked cheese but no yogurt,butter,milk etc...ice cream he likes though !

bellavita Thu 23-Oct-08 17:48:35

both of mine hate milk, will have a cheese sandwhich or say mozzarella on top of tomatoes with basil, DS2 likes yoghurt but not DS1, both love icecream smile

SexyDomesticatedDad Thu 23-Oct-08 17:59:08

loads is the answer and all sorts - ds1 (16) eats even more shock

ahundredtimes Thu 23-Oct-08 18:02:32

My 11 y-o s is super skinny and quite small, but I think he eats roughly the same amount of yours, he might not have such a big breakfast actually.

I bought him a book on puberty today, but haven't given him, I am too busy rifling through the pages reading the bits about 'growth spurts' and 'rates of development' in an effort to stave off MY anxiety. blush

Skramble Thu 23-Oct-08 18:08:22

My DS 11yrs,

Breakfast, huge bowl of cereal drenched in milk.
Lunch, one rool two if pushed and something like a muffin and crisps. Or at school he has a cheese panini and a muffin with milk.
Dinner, slighty smaller portion than me. Just discovered he loves mince. He is getting better with eating things like onions and peppers if mixed in with food, still a bit picky and wouldn't eat likes of a pile of roast veg, just broccli and carrots mostly.

roisin Thu 23-Oct-08 18:34:05

ds1 eats loads, but he is very tall for his age. He's about average build, not skinny but not fat.

The one thing I do try and keep pushing with him is calcium, as he doesn't drink milk.

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 18:42:11

ds used to have the Boots calcium chewable tablets until they discontinued them and just brought out a version for 12s and above - these got a really good review in a Sunday mag saying if you only give your child one supplement,make it this one. Ds is very adventurous with food and will eat anything exotic/spicy - loves fruit and veg, it's just the dairy that's a pain. He will eat sardines with bones so that's something.
smile at your puberty book ahundredtimes ! (what is it, byw..)

roisin Thu 23-Oct-08 18:51:37

We used to give the boys multivitamins and fish-oils, but they don't have anything at the moment.

Will your ds1 eat things like rice pudding, custard or porridge? Milk shake or drinking yoghurts?

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 18:52:24

no,none of those,though I persuaded him to eat some chocolate blancmange once !

roisin Thu 23-Oct-08 18:59:54

[snort]

bellavita Thu 23-Oct-08 19:03:32

DS1 would rather go hungry than eat porridge, rice pudding or blancmange for that matter grin

And I love all those sort of things..... comfort food!

MrsMuddle Thu 23-Oct-08 19:07:59

They eat loads and they eat constantly, and they'll eat anything at all (except beetroot)! They're like hoovers - leftovers only last about an hour in our house until one of the DS eats them.

I don't even bother refridgerating leftovers anymore. I just leave them on a plate on the side.

Mercy Thu 23-Oct-08 20:02:32

Thanks for the recipe bellavita smile

My dd isn't at all keen on dairy products either but she does like Alpro soya chocolate desserts (which afaik contain added calcium)

MorticiaAnnSpookington Thu 23-Oct-08 21:04:45

I like those too (the alpro things) but ds wouldn't thank me for them

ahundredtimes Fri 24-Oct-08 11:24:23

MAS - I saw someone recommended it on here. It might even have been rosin? Was it you?

Is called What is Happening to My Body - Boy's version.

He is quite a long way off any of these things happening though I think, ds2 is 9 and practically the same height.

[chews nails]

ahundredtimes Fri 24-Oct-08 11:27:45

[[http://www.amazon.co.uk/WHATS-HAPPENING-MY-BODY-Happening/dp/1557047650/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=122 4843975&sr=8-1 here]

Looks good, quite graphic blush I have now given to him as we were talking about it, and said he could look at it and then we'd discuss it. I hung back from following one of the suggestions that he and I colour in a picture of the penis.

ahundredtimes Fri 24-Oct-08 11:28:14

here

MorticiaAnnSpookington Fri 24-Oct-08 11:31:54

grin at you and ds colouring in picture of penis !!
thanks for that..have put it on my Amazon wishlist...think ds is a long way off,but doesn't hurt to be informed !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now