Talk

Advanced search

Which is cheaper, incl delivery fee, Tesco or Sainsburys? [sorry, boring]

(16 Posts)
BananaSkin Thu 23-Oct-08 10:57:13

X post

Tightening up here and want to earn some family days out by earning Tesco vouchers, but not sure there will be a real saving.

Mysupermarket.com seems to think Sainsburys are about £1-2 cheaper on most of our weekly shops, and deliver with Tesco is more expensive. I don't want to go to the faff of moving our shop over if it isn't cheaper.

Any idea anyone?

MerlinsBeard Thu 23-Oct-08 10:58:43

no one can tell you for definite because it depends what you buy.

lucysmam Thu 23-Oct-08 12:34:26

Agree with mom, I find Asda cheaper but that's probably down to what I buy & have planned

Try looking for e-vouchers to get your delivery charge knocked off whichever you go with smile

elkiedee Thu 23-Oct-08 12:41:04

I know Tesco deals are meant to be better but if you're not collecting them anyway is the difference really that worthwhile? Have you checked whether you already have Nectar points which could save you money on a day out?

Since I've been online shopping with Sainsburys so long I really can't be bothered with the effort of switching, I still remember my first go taking 1 1/2 hours (now it's more like 10/15 minutes and I can get dp to do it).

MegBusset Thu 23-Oct-08 12:44:13

We've saved a lot of money since switching from Sainsbury's to Tesco, especially since you can always get extra off with Tesco voucher codes (there's a thread on here with all the latest ones on).

The only downside is Tesco have 2hr instead of hourly slots and they always seem to be late!

DraculaNeedsArteries Thu 23-Oct-08 12:49:46

I thought that if you shopped with mysupermarket.com it told you whcih was cheaper or that particular shop?

Could you not do your shopping there and select the cheapest provider for that particular week?

I suspect that the very cheapest is to survey what offers are on where and spread your weekly shop over the 3-4 main providers depending on what is on offer where...too much effort for me though!

What value of Tesco vouchers do you typically get?

We normally get about £25 instore per quarter...which is worth an extra £100 in deals. So effectively I am "saving" an extra £8-10 per week by shopping at Tesco as opposed to the other providers with NO vouchers...that beats your £1-2 saving at sainsburies..but doesn't take into account that you would actually earn something on Sainsbos reward scheme.

BananaSkin Thu 23-Oct-08 14:40:37

Elkiedee - we have shopped weekly for years with Sainsburys and have saved about £70 of points shock.

Are they late Meg? that's worth knowing.

Thatnks Dracula - that's exactly what I wanted to know, the value of loyalty scheme. We shop with JS, see above, get sod all nectar points (on approx spend of £100 weekly).

DraculaNeedsArteries Thu 23-Oct-08 14:51:22

Obviously depends on your spend. That has been based on an average of about £70-90 per week I guess. I also look for bonus points and usually get a 500-1000 pointer (which boosts the total by up to £5-10 vouchers/£20-40 deals) each quarter (check out hotukdeals for discount and bonus points vouchers.

On top of that I have the Tesco credit card an usually get about £25 vouchers (converted to £100 deals) per quarter.

changer22 Thu 23-Oct-08 14:53:31

Waitrose are doing an offer of £5, £10, then £15 off your first 3 shops with them so long as you spend over £50 each time.

Might be worth it for the 3 shops.

Valid until the 20/12.

chocolateshoes Thu 23-Oct-08 14:58:01

Maybe it depends where you are re deliveries on time. Ours has never been late. I find Tescos best value if I use codes form the thread on here as you can get your delivery free and a bit more off your shopping.

chipo Thu 23-Oct-08 16:09:40

I think it depends on your local Tesco, ours always delivers on time or even early sometimes.

I do however always use mysupermarket.com and find asda is the cheapest, but their deliveries are always late (and we aren't talking mins either, I once had to wait until 11.30pm for a delivery that was due 2-4pm) I had countless problems with missing bags, extra shopping that wasn't mine etc. Just not worth the money you save TBH.

mosschops30 Thu 23-Oct-08 16:21:48

I do my shopping at Sainsbury online and my mums at tesco online.

I always shop at sainsbury anyway as I think their food is better quality and I can get everything I want.

But I do find their site easier to navigate that tesco, plus they have pics of the food which is great if youre not sure what you want.
Delivery is fab with sainsbury, always on time usually 2 minutes after the start of my slot time, sometimes they call and ask if they can deliver early.
Muj says she has no probs with tesco delivery either though.
Prices for delivery about the same

annaje Thu 23-Oct-08 16:32:30

I think it depends on the area - whenever I have tesco they are always late and make the most ridiculous substitutions and they only offer a 2 hour slot. Sainsburys are better but can be more pricey. Ocado have always been fab - on time, one hour slot and never substitute anything - but they are expensive and don't have the ranges that they others do. Forget ASDA, I only had them once and they substituted 12 things and didn't even have another 8 things that I ordered. Rubbish!

BananaSkin Thu 23-Oct-08 21:30:41

Thanks everyone. Will give Tesco another shot.

TrillianAstra Thu 23-Oct-08 23:04:27

If you are doing an online shop with Tesco check out tescovouchercodes.blogspot.com/ before you check out. I forgot last time and was kicking myself as could have had 250 extra points (£10 in vouchers) just for entering a code.

I guess it's legal, right? The website just says 'enter code here if you have one', it doesn't say you can't get the code off the internet.

Sorry for the repeating/punning/sounding like an advert, it just came out that way.

BananaSkin Fri 24-Oct-08 20:59:08

Thanks Trillian - will give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now