Talk

Advanced search

food

(6 Posts)
moom Tue 08-Mar-05 14:55:03

help, i have two children, a boy 10 and a girl 7, neither of them will eat anything but nuggets and chips for dinner. a cheese sandwich for lunch. i have tried absolutely everything to get them to eat vegetables and real meat but they just wont eat it.
i have been given loads of advice but nothing works, they would rather go to be hungry than eat anything but their usual. ive told them its whatever we are having or nothing but they say ok nothing. ive tried hiding stuff amongst their food they pick it out and leave it.
ive had other kids round to let them see that other kids eat normally that didnt work, ditto the school dinners, in fact we were eventally told after three weeks that we were wasting our money, by the dinner lady !!
the situation is becoming unbearable and when we visit my inlaws the air is frosty as she beleives that if they wont eat whats in front of them she gets up and makes them a cheese sandwich. we have some wicked rows because she keeps undermining us.
i would love them top try food but they only seem interested in trying new cakes of yogurts in fact anything sweet in general.
i would really appreciate some advice im at my wits end.
moom

moondog Tue 08-Mar-05 15:01:10

Moom, firstly have you done a search in archived messages (or just go directly to 'Food' topic and scroll until you find something relevant?)
Are you new? Haven't seen your name before? There was a big discussion on this topic only a week or so ago.
Not saying that people don't want to chat, just that you may find some good stuff there as well.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 08-Mar-05 15:04:39

I don't buy anything I don't want my kids to eat. No nuggets in the freezer = they can't have any. I wouldn't waste any time trying to reason with them, coax them or trick them. At 7 and 10, they are old enough to know better.

We find that roast dinners are the most successful meals.

tarantula Tue 08-Mar-05 15:13:12

Ditt Ameriscot We dont have things like that in the house most of the time. Luckily dss(13) is a good eater on the whole. We also encourge him to take an interest in food as does his mum and he helps with baking and making pizzas etc. If he wants to eat crap he can buy it with his pocket money and believe me he has much better things to do with that He has been watching JO avidly and he was 'grossed out' (his words) when I told him how they make most processed foods. Sorry not much help there. My only advise is be tough and strong and say no and mean it. Hope others have some better advise

moondog Tue 08-Mar-05 15:14:58

Maybe one thing at a time too? Cheess s/wich sounds fine (It's what I have for lunch every day!)
What do they have for b/fast?

Zinger Wed 09-Mar-05 18:30:43

Lots of fantastic advice for all ages in The Food Our Children Eat by Joanna Blythman

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: