Talk

Advanced search

curry - spices and hotness!

(5 Posts)
bumpybecky Wed 22-Oct-08 14:49:08

We normally have a takeaway curry meal bag from Tescos as our weekend treat, but I'm doing Slimming World and have discovered that our lovely curry is far too many points per week, so have to do some proper cooking (sigh).

I've ordered the official SW curry book, but until it arrives I've been experimenting with homemade curry grin

I've made veggie curry, chickpea currys, quorn curry and chicken curry, but have yet to get the right blend of spices. I've been using a tikka spice mix, cumin, coriander, turmeric and a bit of chilli. The hotness is OK for me (to weak from DH, but lets not worry about him!).

Does anyone know which spice(s) it is that gives the flavour at the throat / back of the mouth? so far everything has been front of mouth spciy IYKWIM

I've tried googling, but either find Indian restaurants or dodgy sites (well you try searching for back of the mouth.....)

Overmydeadbody Wed 22-Oct-08 19:10:41

you using fresh chillies or chillie powder or cried chillies?

Overmydeadbody Wed 22-Oct-08 19:13:21

and what type of curry are you trying to make?

I'd only use tikka spice if I was making a tikka dish. What is the curry called that you get from tesco/order form take away?

Every different curry has a unique blend of spices and other ingredients, giving it it's flavour, so it's worth googling the specific dish you are trying to recreate rather than just going for 'curry', if that helps?

Overmydeadbody Wed 22-Oct-08 19:16:19

buds

What you want is bitter tastes, the taste buds for them are mostly located at the back of the tongue (not the throat lol no wonder you got dodgy stuffgrin)

Overmydeadbody Wed 22-Oct-08 19:18:00

turmeric is a bitter spice. Maybe add more of that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now