Talk

Advanced search

Battenberg . . . make or buy?

(31 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 20:41:05

I've just seen this on Asda website & haven't had it for years [yum] [yum] [yum]

Am I pushing my luck a bit after my recent 'wonky' chocolate cake do you think, to want to try making some myself? Or shall I just bung some in my trolley & let the factory it's produced in do the work for me?

LadyOfRoffle Tue 21-Oct-08 20:42:02

Doesn't hurt to give it a go. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmm mmmmm cake. Mmm

SingingBear Tue 21-Oct-08 20:45:43

Message withdrawn

SingingBear Tue 21-Oct-08 20:46:31

Message withdrawn

lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 20:54:48

lmao SingingBear . . . you need an actual tin to do it in? Well, I'm buggered then! Will bung some in my basket instead

It's just sooooo lovely though & would be so good if I could do it all the time! That'd be my munchies sorted forever

sugarplumfairy Tue 21-Oct-08 21:01:57

Battenburg is my favourite shop bought cake, never thought about making it at home.
We call it "windows cake" as that's what DS used to call it when he was little.
I may have to get a battenburg tin as well, because if it's homemade then we can eat it more often, because it's doesn't feel as naughty to eat homemade stuff!

lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 21:06:55

sugarplum, it's fab isn't it! Never feels quite 'naughty' enough though, so I sometimes send oh to the shops for munchies

I giggled at 'windows cake' it does look like a window though, never occured to me before

BecauseImAWitch Tue 21-Oct-08 21:09:52

... bin.

Hate, hate, hate battenburg cake. Bleurgh!

lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 21:13:57

BIAW noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

It is the scrummiest, yummiest cake ever!!!!!!

sugarplumfairy Tue 21-Oct-08 21:20:46

I had cravings for it in my first pregnancy, any excuse to eat it! Probably buy it once a month and could quite easily eat the whole thing.
I buy Sainsburys own as it tastes better than Mr Kipling and it comes in large! But I'm sure that Asdas will taste great as well, lucysmam.grin

lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 21:26:22

<<LM beats herself up>>

I was in Sainsbury's this morning!!!!!

MIL is in town tomorrow . . .really want some NOW after asking this

SingingBear Tue 21-Oct-08 21:33:56

Message withdrawn

sugarplumfairy Tue 21-Oct-08 21:36:10

So do I now! let's hope Sainsburys don't have a run on them tonight so we can get a stash of them tomorrow. Obviously for emergencies only smile

lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 21:59:47

Of course, only for emergency wink

SingingBear, is it just a tin with four compartments? As in is that literally all it is? Maybe a loaf tin, a pink & a yellow cake cut in 2 each would work?

I think I will investigate tomorrow

Although I will still send MIL to Mr S for me while she's in town!

MrsThierryHenry Tue 21-Oct-08 22:02:30

Singing Bear, the factory stuff today won't be half as chemical laden as it was in our youth. Most likely, like today's fish fingers, it will taste like actual food. Don't try it; it'll only end in tears sad.

lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 22:14:44

MrsTH, that never occurred to me! There's loads of stuff myself and oh have tried recently that doesn't taste like it 'used to' (omg I sound sooooo old sometimes!) when we were kids

& cartoons as well, we used to watch some things that were fab & now they're just not the same sad

MrsThierryHenry Tue 21-Oct-08 22:16:44

We're getting old, lucysmam. Life's changing around us and it just ain't funny no more sad wink.

lucysmam Tue 21-Oct-08 22:28:03

Well, now you've confirmed we're getting old I'm sad and shock and off for an early one hmm

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Tue 21-Oct-08 22:30:03

Put on floor and dance on. Ugh. The worst cake in the world. Doesn't deserve the name cake. I would give this to people I hated. I have just made a lime and coconut cake. Now that's cake!

readyfornum2 Wed 22-Oct-08 07:41:29

I made some the other week and it was fab!!

You dont need a special tin, I used my deep traybake tin and seperated the mixtures with foil (as stated in the recipe) and it worked fine.

Infact I might have to make another now ive seen this lol

BecauseImAWitch Wed 22-Oct-08 09:03:44

Hurrah, BSEITSS - we can form an anti-battenburg cake quiche!

DumbledoresGirl Wed 22-Oct-08 09:14:46

I bake a lot of cakes but I have to admit I adore battenburg cake and buy it without compunction from the shop. Some things just can't be beaten.

That said, I once wrote down a fantastic recipe for chocolate and orange battenburg and have never made it because I do not have the size tin it required.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a battenburg tin. Is that a better idea?

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Wed 22-Oct-08 09:29:33

Can we have badges?

DH loves it. If I'm feeling really guilty kind I will stretch to buying him the little ones so it doesn't have to touch my knife, kitchen surfaces or leave little fecker crumbs all over the place. Then I make him really wash his hands. Bleurgh!

It's old lady cake. The sort of old lady whose house smells of wee and she has a beard like Santa and wrinkled tights and big bunions. <shudder> They only eat it because it's colourful and their taste buds have gone so they don't know that it's foul. And it keeps for a zillion years so they only need to buy it every millennium. Yuk!

lucysmam Wed 22-Oct-08 09:36:26

readyfornum2, if you have a mo could I have the recipe please? smile

Dumbledoresgirl . . . chocolate & orange <<drool>>

BSEITSS & BIAW pmsl @ you both this morning! How can you say that?!?!? 'tis wonderful CAKE grin

DumbledoresGirl Wed 22-Oct-08 09:45:24

Been on the Lakeland site looking for a battenburg tin. Is this it? as I can't find anything that specifically mentions battenburg cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now