Talk

Advanced search

Fairy cakes

(12 Posts)
idobelieveinghosts Tue 21-Oct-08 19:24:31

Pretty sure this is ok to do but wanted to check that i can make fairy cakes one day, store in an air tight container and then decorate and serve the next day....they won't go rock hard or anything will they??

fine

CherryChOpstick Tue 21-Oct-08 19:25:28

That is fine. Cakes are always softer the next day.

idobelieveinghosts Tue 21-Oct-08 19:26:19

oh oh..and whilst i am here.....icing....of the said fairy cakes....never been very good at perfecting the icing...always too runny. Should they be put in the fridge to set? how long does that take?

CherryChOpstick Tue 21-Oct-08 19:44:32

The right icing sets at room temperature. Putting it in the fridge will encourage it to sweat when you take it out, making it wet again.
When you make it put the icing sugar in the bowl and drip water into it a bit at a time, mixing all the while until it resembles a paste. If you get carried away and it is too runny add some more icing sugar to dry it up again. Put any colouring in before water.
And don't forget to lick the bowl!

stealthsquiggle Tue 21-Oct-08 19:48:07

Fine to store them.

Try Tate& Lyle Royal Icing sugar (purple box next to ordinary icing sugar on shelf) - much more satisfactory IME.

idobelieveinghosts Tue 21-Oct-08 20:04:11

Oh excellent thanks for your advice..will definatley try the purple box.....

so just to verify...

icing sugar
food colouring
and then start adding the warm water

Goober Tue 21-Oct-08 20:08:10

Yep. A drop at a time. Slowly.

idobelieveinghosts Tue 21-Oct-08 20:10:59

Marvellous, many thanks, wish me luck..making halloween fairy cakes next week!

stealthsquiggle Tue 21-Oct-08 20:14:11

If black icing is involved make it chocolate icing first (cocoa powder) before attempting blackness, otherwise you will end up with battleship grey.

Goober Tue 21-Oct-08 20:15:13

Or blood red?

Goober Tue 21-Oct-08 20:18:17

Another tip I learned from my Mum. To write/draw with your icing, line a cup with a small sandwich bag, with the corner pointing into the bottom of the cup. Fill with icing and cut a tiny bit of the corner off. Use. Much cheaper than buying the writing pens and piping equipment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now