Advanced search

Pumpkin pie,any recipes please?

(12 Posts)
FangolinaJolly Tue 21-Oct-08 19:08:13

Title says it all

TIA.

FangolinaJolly Tue 21-Oct-08 20:50:56

Anyone?

I have carved the pumpkin(Its got a lopsided evil)

Have roasted the flesh in the oven,and am now awaiting a glorious recipe.

Thanks.

SuperBunny Wed 22-Oct-08 03:19:54

I have a recipe for pumpkin cake, if that helps. Or I can ask a friend for his 'best pumpkin pie in the world' recipe although I can't vouch for it's claims. I am not a fan of pp

NotQuiteCockney Wed 22-Oct-08 07:22:33

Most recipes start with pureed pumpkin (which comes in tins - with the recipe on the back). Here is a list of recipes.

I am Not Good with shortcrust pastry, so I make this with pureed pumpkin, or, sometimes Nigella's pumpkin cheesecake.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 22-Oct-08 07:27:30

Wait a sec ... what have you roasted? The bit you want to roast is the hard stuff, the same stuff you need to roast. All that gooey crap in the middle is no use at all - you want the seeds from it, but that's it.

lillypumpkinpie Wed 22-Oct-08 07:50:32

here's one

FangolinaJolly Wed 22-Oct-08 11:57:06

Nqc, got rid of the gooey stuff,and scooped the more solid stuff out with a knife,I assumed that you treat a pumpkin a bit like a butternut squash in the bits you use??

Had bookmarked a recipe on t'interweb but the blardy site crashed,and they suggested roasting the flesh.I now have lots of squidgy pumpkin flesh.

Made soup last year which was delicious,so thought I'd attempt pie this year

NotQuiteCockney Wed 22-Oct-08 19:55:51

Yes, pumpkin is the same as butternut squash, in terms of what you use. You can roast the seeds, but it's hard work, for what you get.

Rolf Thu 23-Oct-08 21:16:52

do you still need a recipe? I use Fannie Farmer's recipe and it lovely and v easy. I'll post it if you haven't made you pie yet.
smile

feetheart Fri 24-Oct-08 11:12:56

I'd like the recipe please even if Frangolina has gone quiet.

SqueakyPop Fri 24-Oct-08 11:19:54

I've never made it, but even foodie purists use tinned pumpkin for it. Apparently fresh pumpkin is too stringy.

Rolf Fri 24-Oct-08 17:58:59

PUMPKIN PIE

pastry to line a 9" pie dish
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups cooked or canned (unseasoned) pumpkin, mashed or pureed [I steam it]
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten

preheat oven to 220C.
Line 9" pie dish with the pastry
Mix the remaining ingredients and beat till smooth
Pour into the lined pie dish
Bake for 10mins, then lower heat to 150C and bake for 45 mins or until the filling is firm

I serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now