Talk

Advanced search

any VERY CONFIDENT cooks online....chicken disaster help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(21 Posts)
cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 10:45:48

ok,i put a chicken in the oven this morning.
says cook for 80 minutes so set oven for that time.anyway,about 20 minutes before it was due to come out i basted the chicken and left the foil off.then i put the chicken back in the oven for another 30 minutes and set the clock.anyway,i realized the timer hadn't bleeped after about 35 minutes so went in kitchen and took chicken out.suddenly realized i might...although not sure....have switched the oven off inadvertently before putting back in the oven....which would obviously mean i hadn't cooked it for the full length of time.trouble is, i can't remember blushsenile moment!!!i've put chicken back in for half an hour.....is this just too dicey...???

morningpaper Tue 21-Oct-08 10:47:08

no I wuoldn't worry, the heat from the chicken/oven would have kept cooking it for a good 20 minutes or so

Just whap it on a bit higher and cook it for another half hour

check it's thoroughly cooked

cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 10:47:26

HELP!

Carmenere Tue 21-Oct-08 10:48:08

If you take a sharp knife and insert it at a very fleshy part of the thigh, if the juice that comes out is clear, it is cooked. If the juice has any red in it it needs more cooking. However the residual heat from the oven, even if you turned it off probably continued the cooking process.

morningpaper Tue 21-Oct-08 10:48:09

here, breathe into this paper bag

cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 10:48:20

oh thankyou morningpaper...it's for the kids'sandwiches tomorrow and i really am a panicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 10:48:53

Thankyou Carmenere!!!!

TigerFeet Tue 21-Oct-08 10:48:58

Put the oven back on

Make sure it's cooked through

It'll be fine

(ie wot MP sed)

morningpaper Tue 21-Oct-08 10:49:06

I'd probabbly re-baste it, take all the foil off, and cook the bugger VERY HIGH so the skin is nice and crispy

I quite like well-done chicken though

then rip it to pieces, cover it all with salt and gobble it up

Skramble Tue 21-Oct-08 10:49:09

You just need to check if it is cooked through properly.

Stick a skewer into a fleshy bit and juices should be clear.

Also prise a leg off a bit and see if the meat has any pink left around the joint, should come away quite easliy if cooked.

I take it you are letting it cool and breaking it up any way, if so no harn in disecting it a bit to check and then putting it back in,

I never go by the times on the packs, I don't cover with foil either now as it never seems to cook through right.

bigTillyMint Tue 21-Oct-08 10:49:27

You should be able to tell if it is cooked by cutting it where leg joins body and checking that juices run clear and meat is not pink.

It might need a bit more than 30 mins as it would have cooled down in meantime - I think it's to do with meat cooking at a certain temp...

Hope that helps! You could always blast the cut up bits in the micro if you are still worrried!

TigerFeet Tue 21-Oct-08 10:50:11

Wow cutekids will you be my Mummy?

I would love roast chicken butties for my lunch!

Nothing so labour intensive here grin

morningpaper Tue 21-Oct-08 10:51:00

yeah that IS fancy

was this whole thread a ruse to get us all feeling inadequate? wink

Skramble Tue 21-Oct-08 10:51:13

oh yes was going to add make sure you give oven time to heat up again.

I would cover in gravy and microwave if you really think you need to to stop it drying up when nuked.

Skramble Tue 21-Oct-08 10:51:55

grin allmine get is a lump of value chedder or some dairylee.

cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 10:53:20

Well Tigerfeet....here's a leg...(just hope it's cooked!!!!)grin
To be honest,I don't think they like my "real chicken" butties (as opposed to the "plastic"stuff I used to give them!!!).Apparently,"it's too dry"!!!!!!!!!LOL!!

Carmenere Tue 21-Oct-08 10:56:08

Oh that is nothing, I have a brace of pheasant that I shot myself hanging in the pantry waiting to pluck and gut and roast for my dc's sandwiches (on home made bread with home churned butter and home made mayo with home grown lettuce) Doesn't everyone?

cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 10:56:13

God no!!!I am THE most inadequate cook of all time....hence the panic!!!!
I used to buy pre-packed everything but just trying to be a "proper"mummy......as i'm very uneconomical according to my Mother!!!
(NOT THAT I THINK ANYONE WHO BUYS PRE-PACKED STUFF ISN'T A PROPER MUMMY BY THE WAY!!!)

Skramble Tue 21-Oct-08 10:57:29

I would maybe do a roast on sunday and give them the left overs on monday in pack lunch but they ain't getting the whole thing grin

cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 10:58:32

Well yeah....they're not having the lot.We will be having some for tea tonight....will test the chicken on my hubbie before giving kids grin!

cutekids Tue 21-Oct-08 11:03:04

Anyway thanks all of you.
smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: