Talk

Advanced search

Ok, so am going to take the plunge, and shop online - Who is best??

(19 Posts)
stanosauruswrecks Mon 20-Oct-08 20:53:15

Trying to force a screaming toddler into a shopping trolley, whilst being scrutinised and tutted at by the blue rinse brigade is no longer my favourite way to spend a Monday morning.
So my question is, which of the supermarkets has the best online shopping in terms of not sending stuff that is near it's expiry date, reliability,value for money (and availability of discount codes for free delivery)I currently shop at Sainsuburys, but all the major shops will deliver to our area. TIA

severmefingers Mon 20-Oct-08 20:58:10

Ime Asda are the best. Tesco send stuff that is out of date the day after and are never on time.but they do have more vouchers.Asda only do vouchers for free delivery on £50 spend.Asda are cheaper too.

thisisyesterday Mon 20-Oct-08 20:58:46

sainsburys is good IMO. never had a problem with them.
if they are going to be late (or early, it sometimes happens!) they ring and let you know and you get a £10 voucher.

boogeek Mon 20-Oct-08 20:59:38

Ocado are brilliant on all factors apart from being really expensive.

apostrophe Mon 20-Oct-08 21:03:14

Message withdrawn

BirdyArms Mon 20-Oct-08 21:08:09

There was £15 off on your first ocado shop with the Sunday Times yesterday. Can't find it for you because I don't remember which section it was in and it's all very damp in our recycling bin now. I'm sure you could find it online and give them a try.

They are very good, they price match to Tesco for anything branded but you still have to buy waitrose fruit, veg, meat etc which isn't the cheapest. I do spend less than if I go into a waitrose store though.

mimsum Mon 20-Oct-08 21:23:31

i either use ocado or go to a sainsburys supermarket - I end up spending much less at ocado cos I only buy what's on my list, so actually although individually things might be more expensive there's less temptation

Niknan Tue 21-Oct-08 10:39:48

Like you I found supermarket shopping a trauma. Have started shopping online with Asda. The first time took a while to do as I set up my basic list but now found it a lot quicker.

if you want to try asda, here is a code for free delivery over £50, expires end of Oct

M4 BW V2 X4

Happy shopping

bigTillyMint Tue 21-Oct-08 10:46:07

I do Tescos as Asda stopped delivering to our area sad - cheaper than Sainsbo's or Ocado, and stuff usually lasts a week (and I buy loads of perishables!)

Like Niknan said, the first shop or two takes a while, but then you have your favourites list and it is much easier. Can't remember about Asda, but you can change your Tesco order up to the night before, which is great for me!

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 21-Oct-08 11:16:21

Tesco usually good. I had a spat with them as they kept sending millions of plastic bags despite me TELLING THEM NOT TO. (Average shop£140 and they sent it in up to 45 bags. shock

anyway, I got lots of vouchers and they now remember not to use bags for me. smile

Prefer Waitrose shop, but have never used them to deliver - because of cost. Sainsbury was ok when I used it once during above spat.

DaphneMoon Tue 21-Oct-08 11:19:46

I like Tesco's, they are polite and helpful. The site is easy to negotiate, it will take you ages the first time. But then you go to your "favourites" the next time and just choose from it. You can add and delete things whenever you like. I have had the odd thing missing and gained a few bits I can tell you. But one quick phone call and they refund you no problem. Most of the time they get it right.

hanaflower Tue 21-Oct-08 11:26:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nic06 Tue 21-Oct-08 11:41:11

Hi

Are Waitrose and Ocado the same thing?

hanaflower Tue 21-Oct-08 11:54:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nic06 Tue 21-Oct-08 12:03:02

Oh ok, thanks

PixelHerder Tue 21-Oct-08 12:11:37

Have only used Tesco and Sainsburys but both have been generally fine for produce and reliability.

Tesco have more online discount codes (see the Promotional Codes topic here on MN) and are generally cheaper I reckon.

Sainsburys have the advantage of one-hour delivery slots (Tesco's are 2 hour), and in my area they deliver free on Tues, Weds and Thurs. They do send through the odd promotional code on email but they are few and far between, so on principle I won't shop from there unless they have sent a discount code!

mysupermarket is a good site to do your initial order from, you can do Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys and Ocado from there and compare prices.

stanosauruswrecks Sat 25-Oct-08 13:52:50

Thanks for your help ladies -Have placed my first order with Sainsbos, being delivered Monday - feeling disproportionately excited/nervous about it. I really need to get out more! grin

mazzystartled Sat 25-Oct-08 13:56:19

ocado is fab, easy to use, pricematch tescos, very polite, rarely late and give you vouchers if they are, refund without quibble.

but it is very easy to find youself buying edamame fritattas and aspirational toiletries that you don't need.

if you are strongwilled, it's my recommendation

stanosauruswrecks Mon 27-Oct-08 13:28:28

Life has been transformed!! The driver rang to see if he could deliver early (Bonus) only one substitution (different coloured loo roll) and all the fresh stuff has a decent expiration date. It was so easy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now