Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Turnips- what to do with them

(7 Posts)
milge Mon 07-Mar-05 15:58:10

In some strange moment, i bought some turnips from tesco last week, and they are still in the veg rack - never bought them before, so what do i do with them? was thinking of mashing them like swede, any better suggestions?Thanks

soapbox Mon 07-Mar-05 16:01:35

Trim, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 30-40mins.

TwoIfBySea Mon 07-Mar-05 20:56:06

Mash them in with your potatoes, lovely and yummy with pork or beef casserole. Dst love when I do clapshot, which is potato, turnip and a small onion mixed in. Loads of butter mashed in, mmmmmmm!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 07-Mar-05 21:03:57

They're really lovely mashed on their own, too. Peel, chop and boil, then mash with loads of butter and a bit of milk.

Mmmm, now I want turnips.

Ags Mon 07-Mar-05 21:06:07

For anyone worried about weight they are a brill alternative to potato! No points on the weight watchers scheme! Just treat like potato to have them mashed but they take a bit longer to boil.

samwifewithkid Mon 07-Mar-05 21:41:56

They make a lovely flavour to vegetable soup. Or just chop and put into a casserole.

milge Tue 08-Mar-05 00:10:20

didn't have time to check back here before needed to get tea on table, so boiled them, mashed and added lots of butter and black pepper - went brilliantly with beef stew, and they are on my shopping list again this week. Thanks for all your suggestions - will roast them next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now