Talk

Advanced search

Really stupid chicken stock questions

(4 Posts)
Notquitegrownup Sat 18-Oct-08 22:18:10

OK, I am a stock virgin! I've often thought about making it, but tend to forget to do it, once the cooled chicken has gone into the fridge . . .

So if I roast it on Sunday evening, I just boil up the carcass plus veg the next day. And then I strain it, and blend it and leave it to cool. I freeze the stock in half pint batches that night? It is that simple, isn't it?

But if you make your soup with defrosted stock, can you make enough for two days and reheat the soup on day 2 - that would be its fourth time of being cooked!? Or do you just make enough for one day? Or do you make the soup the week before and freeze the soup, rather than freezing the stock?!

Just need to get my head around it, then I will do it every week, honest!

yes to the first question, it really is that simple.

To the second question - obviously you shouldn't reheat meat four times, that would be baaaaad, but not sure whether the rule is the same for stock. It's only a meat product and not actually meat.

So... I don't know blush

Carmenere Sat 18-Oct-08 22:22:06

You can freeze the stock, defrost it, use it and reheat the soup on day 2. As long as it is not left to hang around a warm kitchen it will be fine.

yogabird Sat 18-Oct-08 22:24:47

i alwways do this and we've never been poisoned yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now