Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leek and potato soup question if you have a sec

(17 Posts)
lucysmam Sat 18-Oct-08 12:54:17

I have 2 small leeks (& when I say small, they're baby leeks) left from my trip to mareket last Tuesday.

What sort of quantities of potatoes would you put in to make this? & how much stock?

If I had bigger leeks I'd probably do 4 or 5 biggish spuds & a litre or so of stock. Would it still turn out ok with these quantities do you think? Or should I reduce them since the leeks are so small?

TIA for any advice smile

lucysmam Sat 18-Oct-08 12:54:44

mareket should say market [oops]

lulumama Sat 18-Oct-08 12:55:42

i would do something else with them ! two baby leeks won;t go far, if you do make soup, add extra onion and stock cube to make it more flavourful or you just have potato soup with leek garnish !

jenthehen Sat 18-Oct-08 12:56:45

I would use 3 med potatoes and 3/4 pnt of stock

lucysmam Sat 18-Oct-08 13:00:46

lulu, trouble is I'm skint til Friday as have been messed around that much for oh's wages that he's signed on until he starts something a week on Monday. So I thought I would try and use up as much as I can rather than do a shop.

What else would you do with them?

thanks jenthehen, I will keep that in mind & see what else I can think of first after lulu's comments

nkf Sat 18-Oct-08 13:01:47

I don't know exactly but I know you always need more leeks than you think. And stock and milk is a better combination than just stock.

lulumama Sat 18-Oct-08 13:18:57

oh am sorry to hear that , make the soup as you would , and add some extra onion and the milk is a good idea too.,

lucysmam Sat 18-Oct-08 13:22:47

I will give it a go, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. I'll still eat it & they can have the other stuff we have in.

Cheers smile

pinkandbluespottywellies Sat 18-Oct-08 13:23:57

Have you got any sausages? What about the cheesy leeks with jacket potatoes and sausage on your thread last night (if you have cheese in!) Or without the sausages?

Or if you have any other veg just make it a chunky veg soup?

BBBee Sat 18-Oct-08 13:24:18

it should be fine if you follow onion sotck cube advice.

have always found leek and pot to be pretty fail safe.

lucysmam Sat 18-Oct-08 13:28:31

um, pinkandblue,I have no cheese atm. Am literally trying to use up what I have to make it stretch as far as possible

But we will be trying cheesy leeks when we do do our shopping

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 13:30:24

any bacon in?

I did a lovely bacon, leek and potato soup the other week.

lulumama Sat 18-Oct-08 13:51:43

have just made a big pot of soup now, was inspired!

you could add a tin of chopped tomatos if you want or if you have a parmesan rind in the fridge throw that in too

bellavita Sat 18-Oct-08 13:55:50

lucysmam - I would sweat the leeks and potatoes off in butter first to give extra flavour, but adding an onion too will also help.

Trebuchet Sat 18-Oct-08 14:00:31

Oooh I love cookery challenges, give uz another one! I love picking out a few random ingredients from the panrty and trying to work out what the hell I am going to do with them! I am sad, I know..blush

lucysmam Sat 18-Oct-08 14:11:26

nope, no bacon either sad

Trebuchet,I am sure I will be back with more as the week goes on, I am determined to get as far as poss without spending anything!

lucysmam Sat 18-Oct-08 15:59:40

Extra onion was a good idea, made it up to the quantities I would usually use with just 1 large one & it still tastes lovely! OH says better than previous attempts so thanks for the advice, worked a treat! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now